Kernel panic - not syncing : Attempted to kill init!

General support questions
sjchoi

Post by sjchoi » 2012/09/13 09:28:30

I have met the "Kernel panic" from yesterday in centos 6.2. (Actually I'm a beginer. I just started studying from 2 months ago.) Anyway, the sympton is that just displalyed one sentence "Kernel panic - not syncing : Attempted to kill init!" after grub boot menu passed. It might sounds ridiculous, there was no problem at all until rebooting the before yesterday. After that, there was still "kernel panic" even though I did installed Centos 6.2 several times. One strange thing is that system was normally booted when I installed CentOS 5.5.

I don't understand why "kernel panic" happens only for centos 6.2. Please give me some advice.

thank you.

TrevorH
Site Admin

Post by TrevorH » 2012/09/13 11:24:54

Was this on the first boot after installing CentOS 6.2? Or did you install then boot then `yum update` and get a new kernel and then it happened? Or some other sequence of events?

sjchoi

Re: Kernel panic - not syncing : Attempted to kill init!

Post by sjchoi » 2012/09/13 12:13:05

Sorry, I didn't mention the details of system and what happened. Backgroud is simply like this.
I installed CentOS6.2 on four different system. I intended to make one server and three clusters for operating some software.
Now, "Kernel panic" has happened on the server pc. The only difference between the server pc and pc cluster is hard disk type.
Server is made up for LSI megaraid disks (SAS) and the others are made up for normal sata disks.
When CentOS was installed on server pc, I used a driver disk for setting the SAS.

It was not first boot. However, I did some "yum update" before the "kernel panic" happened.
But the other system also did same update in exactly same enviorment.

After upload the question here, I tried to boot the system with installation DVD (1) - rescue mode.
Rescue message said that input "chroot /mnt/sysimage" on the console and then reboot system automatically.
But not happend reboot automatically and still have same problem - "kernel panic..."

I suppose that the system couldn't find kenrel image at specified mount point "root (hd0,0)" which is specified in grub.conf.
SAS could be affeted by some "yum update"? If so, why it still makes a "kernel panic" even after new installation?

TrevorH
Site Admin

Post by TrevorH » 2012/09/13 12:44:59

Can you boot the system by using the older kernel? Interrupt the boot when you see the grub menu and it should display a list of available ones - scroll down to an older one and press enter to boot it. If you can then we can look at what's happened and see if we can fix it.

There was a bug in a package called dracut in the initial 6.2 release that built the initramfs files wrongly sometimes, perhaps you need to `yum update dracut` then `yum remove `the latest kernel package and reinstall it (which will then use the updated dracut to build the initramfs and hopefully fix the problem).

Or did you have to load an external third party driver for your RAID controller?

sjchoi

Post by sjchoi » 2012/09/13 13:18:22

Thank you for advice.

Unfortunaltey, there is only one available kernel (kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.32-220.el6.x86_64) in grub menu now.
I'm gonna try to install older kernel on present system if possible.
After that, try " 'yum update dracut' then `yum remove`the latest kernel package and reinstall it" as advice.

And, external third driver was used only for installation.

sjchoi

Post by sjchoi » 2012/09/14 01:06:50

When typed chroot /mnt/sysimage in rescue mode, displayed that " 'bin/sh' : No such file or directory "
(Sorry, I don't know how to post the capture image.)

Anyway, I found some posted answer from the other site. It said that /bin/bash file has been damaged in this case.
Is it ture? If so, what should I do in next step?