Install with usb.

General support questions
kush

Install with usb.

Post by kush » 2012/12/15 02:55:35

I have an 8 gb usb stick, and I tried to install the centos image to it, using the opensuse iso to usb tool. like i always use for all my linux installations, normally it works fine, now the centos iso installed to the flash drive just fine like it always does, but when i try to restart my computer and bootup the flash drive to install the os, its like it doesnt detect it, and goes straight to the grub menu where i choose what os i want, so i tried to disable my harddrives etc and only enabled the usb on startup , and it said something like please insert media or w/e i forget. but my guess is its trying to detect it cd/dvd drive, and I would like to know what steps i have to do inorder to install centos using a usb stick, i have searched alot on google and stumbled across many tutorials way to complicated or that just didnt work for me,
Id like to know how to do this step by step.

Im currently using Fedora KDE 17.
Thanks in advance :D im a noob btw.

YBellefeuille

Re: Install with usb.

Post by YBellefeuille » 2012/12/17 01:20:03

You're not giving us much to work with. Basically, you're saying that you tried something that always worked in the past, but it didn't this time, and you don't know why.

I suggest you post the error message you received. Saying that there was an error about "w/e i forget" isn't helpful.

Did you look at the instructions about How to Set Up a USB Key to Install CentOS? What version of CentOS 6 did you install on the USB drive?

kush

Post by kush » 2012/12/24 21:37:20

Ok well it doesnt take rocket science to figure out what i wrote,

I tried to install centos onto a usb stick, tried many methods, and it simply does not work for me anyway.

Opensuse
Fedora
Etc...
All works fine when installing the os onto a usb stick and boots up fine..

However centos does not....

Ive tried to use iso2usb which claims to make it bootable usb.

Ive tried the command livecd-iso-to-disk --reset-mbr CentOS-6.3-x86_64-LiveCD.iso /dev/sdc1

Didnt work, and many other methods with annoying googling..

and yes i also tried this annoying way to complicated method also http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey , ended up fsck'ing up something rather than getting somewhere..

I wouldnt be installing it usb, but atm im broke and dont have a choice its all i have.

So is there a simpler way to install it onto a usb an make it bootable???
I read that centos is very stable and a good os and im curious so..

And why cant it be usb boot ready, instead of having to go through this strategic bullshit??
Im sure the community would grow if they were able to easier install it using usb just sayin..

vonskippy

Post by vonskippy » 2012/12/24 23:24:13

[quote]
kush wrote:
And why cant it be usb boot ready, instead of having to go through this strategic bullshit??
Im sure the community would grow if they were able to easier install it using usb just sayin..[/quote]
CentOS is a ENTERPRISE solution - so it really doesn't worry about catering to the fringe crowd (like people that DON'T have a spare dozen or so DVD drives), just sayin.....

Or 5 minutes with Google comes up with this USB solution

http://iso2usb.sourceforge.net/

YBellefeuille

Post by YBellefeuille » 2012/12/25 02:04:43

I'll assume that [b]/dev/sdc[/b] is the correct USB device and that your computer is configured to boot from USB. I'll also assume that you've checked the sha256sum for the CD image and that it's correct.

Try [b]livecd-iso-to-disk CentOS-6.3-x86_64-LiveCD.iso /dev/sdc[/b], i.e. don't use [b]--reset-mbr[/b] and don't add [b]1[/b] after [b]/dev/sdc[/b].

If this doesn't work, try checking the USB device for physical defects: [b]badblocks -c 10000 -s -v -n /dev/sdc[/b].

I'd also recommend you use the regular CD for the installation, not the live CD.

There's a procedure at Start an installation from GRUB that's said to be suitable "if the system has no CD or DVD bootable device and it is not possible or convenient to boot from other removable media". I've never tried it.

tahunasky

Post by tahunasky » 2012/12/25 09:12:13

I have just used iso2usb version 0.7 to create a bootable USB stick from the centos 6.3 DVD1 iso.. its a windows utility which can be downloaded from here:

http://iweb.dl.sourceforge.net/project/iso2usb/iso2usb/0.7/iso2usb-v0.7.zip