IMAP, Apache, some ping Fail on New Hardware??

Installing, Configuring, Troubleshooting server daemons such as Web and Mail
gerald_clark

Re: IMAP, Apache, some ping Fail on New Hardware??

Post by gerald_clark » 2014/07/24 23:25:01

xinetd forks dovecot and gives it the port.

dunwell

Post by dunwell » 2014/07/25 21:39:20

Sorry to be slow in responding Gerald. I understand what you are saying but I am seeing a Fail in the boot process for dovecot. Should I even be including dovecot in /etc/init.d/... AFAIK this should all be the same as in my previous box which didn't have a boot Fail.

Can you expand a bit on the timing of what happens with xinetd and dovecot please. If xinetd is actually processing port 143/993 does it then hand off anything from there to dovecot? If so, how do I get dovecot service started, it is failing to start because it sees port 143 already in use by xinetd. What about 110 and 995 for pop3? I can telnet to 110 and get it to respond but it refuses the user command, so I'm guessing that there is some issue there too with the xinetd and dovecot but I don't understand well enough to know.

gerald_clark

Post by gerald_clark » 2014/07/25 21:41:37

If you are going to use an init.d script make sure you don't also have xinetd configured to manage the port.
Check the files in /etc/xinetd.d.

dunwell

Post by dunwell » 2014/07/26 00:15:03

gerald_clark wrote:If you are going to use an init.d script make sure you don't also have xinetd configured to manage the port.
Check the files in /etc/xinetd.d.
When you say to check the files in /etc/xinetd.d I'm not sure what you want me to check for. There are files there for imap, imaps, ipop3 as well as a bunch of others that I have not modified. The only mods I made to the noted files is to include a line with "only_from" and the IPs I want to allow. I don't know what file I should be looking at to see if it is "configured to manage the port". Both dovecot and xinetd are started from the /etc/init.d scripts. Dovecot fails because of the 143 port.

I am further puzzled because I can access the server for IMAP from my laptop and since it is all on the same internal 192. net I just use the 143 port, not the imaps. So it is all working except for that Fail on boot or when I try to Start dovecot from the command line or from the /etc/init.d script.

Please advise. Remember I'm no guru so more words is good ;)

dunwell

Post by dunwell » 2014/07/29 14:41:30

Having seen nothing new here I'll consider this thread abandoned. If I ever solve the remaining "Fail" issues I'll post the resolution back here.