CentOS or RHEL 7 Desktop?

A 5 star hangout for overworked and underpaid system admins.
XDroidie626

CentOS or RHEL 7 Desktop?

Post by XDroidie626 » 2014/09/26 13:35:52

Hi, first sorry if I have posted this in the wrong section, and 2nd, I don't intend to start a flame war, this is a purely torn up decision, I need a good solid answer to.

Okay so I want to pursue a career with Linux and Security, and I want to become RHEL certified one day, I am currently undertaking lessons from Linux Academy so I can do LPIC level 1 and 2, this should give be a good base for Linux in general, never mind enterprise.
Which is where I want to end up, in enterprise using RHEL or Cent, which ever is the companies chosen distro.
Now this is where I am stuck, I want to be well suited into a RHEL based distro for the time I come to study for the exam (A few years yet) but again I want that base to ground me, which should hopefully assist me when it comes to the time of prep and exams.

So which should I use, should I pay for a RHEL7 Desktop sub, or use a CentOS distro and run that.
This will be run on my main desktop, and in the process remove Ubuntu as my daily.

What would your personal advice, Although I expect that the answer will be a bit biased towards Cent, that is fine, just please point out there differences, both good and bad, from performance, usability, price/value and security stand point.

Many thanks!

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: CentOS or RHEL 7 Desktop?

Post by TrevorH » 2014/09/26 13:49:33

I've moved your topic into CentOS Social since I think discussion of the merits of RHEL vs CentOS are more on topic here.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

schotty

Post by schotty » 2014/10/15 22:52:57

Desktop works OK for most things, but there are some packages that you aren't going to have unless you bump up to Workstation. I use Nux's repos for getting Mumble on RHEL 6 Desktop and there are package issues periodically that are only on Desktop, not in CentOS or RHEL Workstation.

That said, for the most part, CentOS should do the trick if you want skills and something to test em out prior to a cert exam. All CentOS is for lack of better phrasing, all the SRPMs that Red Hat puts out, rebuilt with only branding changes. And for the most part thats spot on. Now, RHEL does have other things for people who get executed, ahem, fired, for breaking things and not having them fixed in unreasonable timeframes. Their CVE system rocks. And the ability on the higher end entitlements to get them to fix/do something you need. But in your case, a few Desktop or a Workstation entitlement is plenty tithing to the Church of Shadowman.

aks

Post by aks » 2014/10/16 17:59:30

RHEL if you don't understand computing and/or Linux. CentOS if you've been using Linux for a reasonable time and uderstand computing and Linux as a broad subject :D