Newbie Install Question

General support questions
jrattinger

Newbie Install Question

Post by jrattinger » 2014/10/16 14:33:38

Hi All,

New to Centos, i just created an install disc (dvd iso) from the ISO... I have installed Centos on my laptop (HP Pavillion dv6000). Upon restarting, I am given a prompt to log in ("localhost login:"). I am able to log in using the userid i created during the install process. After logging in, i'm left at the command prompt.

At this point, i have no idea why, or what to do. I would have expected the gui to kick in, instead of a login prompt.

Any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
John

lightman47

Re: Newbie Install Question

Post by lightman47 » 2014/10/16 16:31:07

You chose a Basic install which does not include the GUI. You can run install again and choose workstation (I think that's what it's called), or other posts here have covered the installation of the Gnome Desktop, and others.

jrattinger

Post by jrattinger » 2014/10/16 18:47:37

Thanks for your response, but there were no questions even close to the one you mentioned during the install. The only questions i recieved were about disk space and setting up id's. The only thing i can think of is maybe i downloaded the wrong ISO. I used the "DVD ISO" instead of the "EVERYTHING ISO". I would assume that Gnome is a pretty basic piece, included in both. I don't know what to do now....

lightman47

Post by lightman47 » 2014/10/16 19:24:15

Apologies - it's been a while. I just shot off the hip.

Actually, fault is not entirely mine. Given 2 "UP FRONT" choice/buttons, I'd likely have made the same choice. I did notice that the "Everything" choice (whatever that is) contains an underline. Apparently THAT makes the choosing easier without having to explain/know anything.

It's almost like the Gnome 3 folk designed the page.

TrevorH
Site Admin

Post by TrevorH » 2014/10/17 08:09:31

The DVD1 should be fine for setting up a GUI system. The everything DVD contains packages that cannot be selected from the installer and is really intended for sysadmins setting up a local CentOS 7 repo. During the install you should have seen a section asking about the software selection you wanted to use and I believe this defaults to minimal so perhaps you just forgot to change this?
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke