Lack of easy to use Remote Option

Issues related to applications and software problems
funkyblue

Lack of easy to use Remote Option

Post by funkyblue » 2015/01/03 05:52:55

Hello All

After installed Centos 7 I discovered the simple and easy to install and use FreeNX is no longer available.
I cannot seem to find any simple products to enable Gnome 3 and Centos 7 to work together remotely.
Have I missed something? VNC Server has complex setup requirements, X2Go does not support the latest version of Gnome.

What else is there? Surely I'm not the only one stumped by this? NoMachine v3 was so good :(

Thanks in advance
Scott

toracat
Site Admin

Re: Lack of easy to use Remote Option

Post by toracat » 2015/01/03 08:59:38

If you can live without gnome, consider using a desktop that is compatible with x2go. For example, I hear MATE works.
CentOS Forum FAQ

scottro
Forum Moderator

Post by scottro » 2015/01/03 12:14:09

Yes, I highly recommend x2go. Simpler to setup than FreeNX, too (At least on CentOS--unfortunately, there is no FreeBSD version of the server when I last looked, though its client works well.)

I have a small page on it http://srobb.net/nxreplace.html (which also covers xpra).

EDIT: Earlier, I had typed simpler to set up than x2go, sorry about that.
New users should check the FAQ and Read Me First pages

WhatsHisName

Post by WhatsHisName » 2015/01/03 14:16:44

My experience with x2go plus MATE (install x2goserver-xsession + mate-desktop + dependencies from EPEL) under EL7 was that I could connect to the server using x2goclient, but the desktop itself was black.

Not sure if that is normal because I have never run MATE as the physical desktop, but I have read bug reports about "black desktop" under MATE. I could not find a good MATE How-To for EL7, so maybe I just missed a needed package.

My goal was to run virt-manager/virt-viewer from a console after logging in remotely via x2go, opening a console and executing "su -". Doing that, virt-manager ran fine from console and I could access/install KVM guests. That is all I really need remote access for so I am happy with MATE + x2go in EL7.

Historically, I was a NX/freenx user and am now moving over to x2go on EL6/7. NX/freenx is still needed for EL5, so don't update your ver 3 NX client to ver 4. :-)

Cookacoo

Post by Cookacoo » 2015/01/05 03:34:21

Personally, when I'm remoting, it is with ssh, or for only a few rare cases, X11Forwarding.

Faster, super simple setup (if it isn't already).

funkyblue

Post by funkyblue » 2015/01/05 04:39:02

I tried MATE and now get install errors. Sigh.
Cookacoo wrote:Personally, when I'm remoting, it is with ssh, or for only a few rare cases, X11Forwarding.
Faster, super simple setup (if it isn't already).
What do you mean? Do you have a guide?

Cookacoo

Post by Cookacoo » 2015/01/05 21:06:39

ssh, it is basically a remote terminal application. so you gain terminal access remotely. You can use a simple ssh client, and remote in =D (putty for windows, or in most linux install you can open terminal and run ssh)

X11Forwarding is a little more complex. once again, if you are remoting from a Linux machine the syntax is "ssh -X username@hostname" and then after you login, you just run the command you need and an X window will appear on your screen. From windows, I suggest using MobaXterm, as it has a Xserver built in and X11 forwarding options are enabled by default.

TO be able to properly resond, I'll need some more informaiton.
1) What OS are you remoting from?
2) What are you trying to run?
3) What kinda network speeds are you getting from end to end?
4) Do you have to adhere to some firewall rules on either end?
5) Is the Distaint end machine the CentOS7 box?
6) Are both machines on the same local network?

I can make assumptions, but then it could just make things more confusing than they need to be. =]

funkyblue

Post by funkyblue » 2015/01/05 21:49:46

Cookacoo wrote:ssh, it is basically a remote terminal application. so you gain terminal access remotely. You can use a simple ssh client, and remote in =D (putty for windows, or in most linux install you can open terminal and run ssh)

X11Forwarding is a little more complex. once again, if you are remoting from a Linux machine the syntax is "ssh -X username@hostname" and then after you login, you just run the command you need and an X window will appear on your screen. From windows, I suggest using MobaXterm, as it has a Xserver built in and X11 forwarding options are enabled by default.

TO be able to properly resond, I'll need some more informaiton.
1) What OS are you remoting from?
2) What are you trying to run?
3) What kinda network speeds are you getting from end to end?
4) Do you have to adhere to some firewall rules on either end?
5) Is the Distaint end machine the CentOS7 box?
6) Are both machines on the same local network?

I can make assumptions, but then it could just make things more confusing than they need to be. =]
I know putty, I have been leaning some Linux commands. I just want a simple and fast GUI of anykind.
I had been very happy with Centos 6 and Gnome and NoMachine V3.5. Easy to setup and install and most importantly FAST between remote and server!

1. I am remoting from Windows 8.1
2. I am trying to find a fast and easy to install GUI for CentoOS 7, with a FAST remote client. 18 steps and millions of options are difficult for a beginner.
3. Not sure of speeds. I get 14Mbits Download and 1.5Mbits upload.
4. I am not sure about firewalls...
5. The end machine is a VPS.
6. No, I am in Adelaide, Australia, it is locked in NY, USA :)

Thanks for your help!

Cookacoo

Post by Cookacoo » 2015/01/06 15:17:08

Awesome information, now we can really get working on the issue.

when you use putty and you gain secure remote access to the far end machine, you are very likely connecting using SSH, however SSH isn't the answer to your question cause it is just CLI (command line interface) Personally, I google untill I know how to do it in command line, and force myself to learn. Once again however, that isn't what your asking.

I would suggest try X11 forwarding. A simple way to get this set up is like so
ssh into your VPS box and run this

Code: Select all

sudo cat /etc/ssh/sshd_config | grep X11Forwarding
The output should look something like this (maybe not exactly but kinda close)

$ sudo cat /etc/ssh/sshd_config | grep X11Forwarding
#X11Forwarding no
X11Forwarding no
#	X11Forwarding no
If you have "X11Forwarding yes" Then you have X11 forwarding enabled. If you have like I have, then you will need to run your favorite CLI text editor and modify the file /etc/ssh/sshd_config.
Examples

$sudo nano /etc/ssh/sshd_config
$sudo vim /etc/ssh/sshd_config
If you don't have a favorite, then for easy of use I suggest trying nano, vim although more powerful has a bit of a learning curve. If you don't have nano installed, you can install it with

sudo yum install nano
and confirm when it ask.

After you save the new config (if you had to make a config change) then you will need to restart the SSH server. This is simple.

$sudo service sshd restart
or

$sudo service ssh restart
After that is complete were done with server config, simple huh?

Now to the client. Your Windows 8.1 Machine. The simpliest way I have found to get an X11 server on your machine (required for X11 Forwarding). Is to download mobaXterm. Found at http://mobaxterm.mobatek.net/ After downloading you will need to click on new session, SSH, fill out the remote host with the IP/URL of your VPS. Check the Specify username, and fill out the username box. Then make sure the X11-Forwarding box is checked and click OK.

It should open a new CLI tab and ask for your login information. then you will be once again at a normal Terminal prompt. Then type the command for the program you wan to use. ex. xclock, and a new window will open up and that should be the program you started!

=D Hope this helps, If you need something that will capture the entire X window, or your entire Desktop environment, that is sadly beyond me, I CLI it. Good Luck.

funkyblue

Post by funkyblue » 2015/01/07 08:09:56

Cookacoo wrote:Awesome information, now we can really get working on the issue.
That's so much for your detailed post.
I do have it working but it's not really what I am after.

I want a simple GUI that I can access remotely with CentOS, just like I could with NX, CentOS 6 and GNOME.