Amazon Prime

Comments, suggestions, compliments, etc
linuxxer

Amazon Prime

Post by linuxxer » 2015/12/18 09:25:55

Hello,

can i see Amazon Prime with Centos. This I have already made: How to setup multimedia on CentOS 7

Many thanks in advance, best regards and a beautiful Christmas time.

scottro
Forum Moderator

Re: Amazon Prime

Post by scottro » 2015/12/18 12:14:29

The answer is maybe. Amazon constantly makes updates that break Linux compatibility. Sometimes they fix it, other times they say that they don't support Linux. I don't know if there's an official position.

For example, it would work with older versions of X that used HAL for awhile. Then, one had to, in more modern versions of X, install fake hal libraries (in Fedora, for example)

Nowadays, google-chrome (not chromium) works with it. However a recent update broke that. It was fixed in a couple of days, but it's not an unusual thing. (You can try googling Ubuntu update breaks prime for a 200-300 post thread on Amazon forums)

Amazon does have some videos for free, so you can always try one of them and see how it plays.

<minor rant> How the content providers can be so moronically ignorant about how the Internet never ceases to amaze me. They haven't yet realized that adding things like HAL or other things to protect their content does nothing to keep their productions from being illegally downloaded, and still don't understand that the reason piracy has greatly decreased is because more and more content is legally available. Make it easily available for a fair price and while there will be piracy, it will probably decrease.
New users should check the FAQ and Read Me First pages

linuxxer

Post by linuxxer » 2015/12/20 02:10:36

scottro wrote:The answer is maybe. Amazon constantly makes updates that break Linux compatibility. Sometimes they fix it, other times they say that they don't support Linux. I don't know if there's an official position.

For example, it would work with older versions of X that used HAL for awhile. Then, one had to, in more modern versions of X, install fake hal libraries (in Fedora, for example)

Nowadays, google-chrome (not chromium) works with it. However a recent update broke that. It was fixed in a couple of days, but it's not an usual thing. (You can try googling Ubuntu update breaks prime for a 200-300 post thread on Amazon forums)

Amazon does have some videos for free, so you can always try one of them and see how it plays.

<minor rant> How the content providers can be so moronically ignorant about how the Internet never ceases to amaze me. They haven't yet realized that adding things like HAL or other things to protect their content does nothing to keep their productions from being illegally downloaded, and still don't understand that the reason piracy has greatly decreased is because more and more content is legally available. Make it easily available for a fair price and while there will be piracy, it will probably decrease.
Thanks scottro,
for the reply. I look Amazon on TV and Android that is not the problem, but i thought I could also look with centos. Nevertheless, I am very satisfied with centos. The Sound over headphone and the Bluetooth features are fantastic.

Best regards

scottro
Forum Moderator

Post by scottro » 2015/12/20 04:35:54

You might be able to. If using CentOS-7, it should work, for the moment at least, with google-chrome. If using CentOS-6 it seems as if you're out of luck for now.
New users should check the FAQ and Read Me First pages

GarrettBL

Post by GarrettBL » 2016/01/21 22:59:29

The serious irony is that Amazon uses Linux exclusively in its corporate environment.

davis1508

Post by davis1508 » 2016/08/18 08:12:12

Amazon video has been broken when I switched my server to Centos 7. Chrome and Firefox doesn't work properly. So, I come to the conclusion that Centos 7 isn't compatible with Amazon.