Gray login screen but no login prompt

General support questions
busybeeworker

Gray login screen but no login prompt

Post by busybeeworker » 2016/01/29 15:35:28

Hello, so I've been trying to get CentOS 7 system up and running and after following the steps from http://www.justdailynotes.com/linux/har ... t-locking/ this article I encountered a very strange problem.

Upon booting the system I only see a gray screen with no login prompt or user list(this is what the screen looks like http://www.lgqyc.com/centos-7-is-not-sh ... um-update/). The most puzzling thing to me is that even after reverting the changes made from following the article above(reverting steps 1, 2, and 5 all the others had been configured/done beforehand with no problems) it still displays the blank grayish screen. I'll admit right now that I'm not the most savvy with CentOS or setting up systems in general, however I've tried looking through logs on this system to determine the root of the problem and i noticed that selinux seemed to be blocking access to certain files and thought potentially disabling that would allow me to at least login however I can't seem to have the change to disabled actually take effect because after reboot it still lists the status as enabled and mode as permissive. Has anyone encountered a similar issue before or have any ideas as to what may be causing this issue? Sorry in advance if this is the wrong support forum for my question but I wasn't sure what would be the best one for it. If i've left anything out that would be important let me know

Additional potentially relevant information:
-I've tried booting into single user mode but it seemed "off" when I got booted because I got command not found after trying to run sestatus
-I've tried using Ctrl-Alt-Fx to login in that way but prior to this issue I had disabled logging in from tty so it denies all logins even when I'm positive the username and password are correct.

lightman47

Re: Gray login screen but no login prompt

Post by lightman47 » 2016/01/31 15:11:42

however I can't seem to have the change to disabled actually take effect because after reboot it still lists the status as enabled and mode as permissive
It took effect - it's running Permissive which means it isn't blocking anything - but will issue warnings for the things it would have blocked if it were running in Enforcing mode. Very helpful for troubleshooting.

nicajoy31

Post by nicajoy31 » 2016/06/21 01:54:54

I am currently encountering this issue now. I remember that at first, the license agreement prompted but after that, there is a gray login screen but no login prompt. I'm just seeing my mouse pointer and after that I really can't login to any of mu users. I also can't ssh my server.

Can someone help us with this?

Thanks.

mstaj

Post by mstaj » 2016/08/05 12:10:13

I ran into this problem with the gray screen without the login prompt, but I didn't have a problem with ssh and I am still in selinux enforcing mode.
It was fixed it by reinstalling gdm and gnome-desktop3 followed by a reboot:

yum reinstall gnome-desktop3
yum reinstall gdm
init 6

I don't know which one fixed my problem, but it is working now.