Crossover Office free Download to US on Oct. 28th

A 5 star hangout for overworked and underpaid system admins.
scottro
Forum Moderator

Crossover Office free Download to US on Oct. 28th

Post by scottro » 2008/10/27 17:51:47

The Crossover Office people do have a sense of humor. Regardless, for anyone interested, they are allowing a free download of their software on Oct. 28th. It has to do with their lame duck challenge.

http://lameduck.codeweavers.com/

For those unfamiliar with it, it's similar to Wine but a bit easier to set up.

AlanBartlett
Forum Moderator

Re: Crossover Office free Download to US on Oct. 28th

Post by AlanBartlett » 2008/10/27 18:38:43

Not wishing to be a total curmudgeon but where is the connection to [b]CentOS[/b]? :-x

Considering it appears to has something to do with American elections, perhaps I can make the hint to [b]toracat[/b] that the [i]CentOS Cesspool[/i] would be a more appropriate home for this thread. :-P

scottro
Forum Moderator

Post by scottro » 2008/10/27 21:46:12

Sigh such a curmudgeon. Ok, here's the connection.

CentOS is often used in the enterprise environment.
In such environments, one often has to make use of MS programs.
Crossover Office enables the user and/or sysadmin to run such programs.

How's that? (He's just jealous because *his* country's leaders aren't as...........oh, never mind.)

To be serious for a moment--I realize that you are trying to make a point that you don't see the relevance. In this particular instance, I'm going to, most respectfully, disagree. While it is more Linux general than CentOS specific, in this particular case, it is a useful program to some people.

If you strongly disagree, feel free to chastize me publicly, then others can learn from the mistake, and hopefully, we know each other well enough so that if I really made an error in judgement posting this here your criticism will simply help educate others.

Anyway, since you got my Aspire One working with your drivers, I'd forgive you almost anything. :)

AlanBartlett
Forum Moderator

Post by AlanBartlett » 2008/10/28 16:07:56

Hurrumph.

Considering that we are close cousins (by nations), I'm rather surprised. I honestly can't see what relevance the contents of the URL you quoted has to [i]CentOS 5 - General Support[/i] or an actual [i]CentOS Community member[/i] based in (let's say) Sri Lanka.

What is the significance of the contents of that website to non-US citizens? It seems to be somehow related to humour (?) being directed towards the American establishment with regards to American elections. What relevance has that to the rest of the population of the world? Remember, if you count up the total number of US citizens & measure up the physical size of the US of A in square miles, both are really quite small when compared to the rest of the world.

So, something is free to download in the US on a particular day. Great - if (1) you're in the US (2) you can understand the website (3) and you actually want what is being given away.

Just to let everyone know. There's a special offer on washing detergent, at my local store, until next Saturday. Two packs for the price of one. Guaranteed to remove all stains that M$ software leaves behind . . . D'oh!

[b]Edit:[/b] I see that site and its humour has now been referenced by another [i]Community Memeber[/i], [b]jseymour[/b], in a [url=http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=16965&forum=14]more appropriate place.[/url]

michaelnel

Post by michaelnel » 2008/10/28 17:09:17

Scottro, I am at least as much a curmudgeon as anyone here, and I am thankful to you for posting the info here. Otherwise I'd have missed it... as it is, I got my copy early this morning.

Michael

gerald_clark

Post by gerald_clark » 2008/10/28 17:28:38

Me too.

scottro
Forum Moderator

Post by scottro » 2008/10/28 18:21:25

Again to be serious....

Apparently, though that reference I gave was being light hearted, it is available to non-US people as well. (If one goes to the codeweavers site, I see nothing about the US requirement.)

With that one last statement, I will drop the subject with a sincere apology to any who feel that it was an inappropriate topic. I do see that a couple of others did find it useful, so perhaps we can all just agree to disagree.

Anyway, I will drop the subject now.

toracat
Site Admin

Post by toracat » 2008/10/28 18:36:23

I think that scottro is correct. From what I've seen, people outside the US are apparently getting copies. So, anyone who (unfortunately) must run Windoze applications should take this opportunity. I, too, am thankful to scottro for posting the news :-D

NedSlider
Forum Moderator

Post by NedSlider » 2008/10/28 20:48:02

As you guys are debating the merits (or not) of this thread in such a responsible and community spirited manner, and I see both points of view, I'm going to take the executive decision to allow the debate to continue until either:

1. There is a clear winner, or
2. the date becomes Oct 29th

whichever occurs first, at which point the thread will be moved to an alternative location.

:-D

vonskippy

Post by vonskippy » 2008/10/28 21:02:40

Not sure what side this comment helps, but I had no clue there even was a "General Banter and Politics" section (since it's not ni the CentOS 5 section).