Basics and more of howTo CentOS

A 5 star hangout for overworked and underpaid system admins.
YumCheeseCake

Basics and more of howTo CentOS

Post by YumCheeseCake » 2016/09/30 02:59:03

Hello everyone, I am a student and am wanting to get some linux OS knowledge under my belt.
I just installed Kali linux in virtual machine and have been told to check out CentOS as well because it is similar to Red Hat Linux.
I don't really have Linux experience but I want to learn how to use it and not just the easy stuff (Windows Alternative).

Is there somewhere I can go to learn about CentOS like tutorials, or video tutorial, or a book?
I seen there are lots of tutorials for Red Hat but looks like you have to pay and I don't really want to pay to learn about it.
There are some intern jobs that I am interested in but they require knowledge of Red Hat linux and I don't have that so I want to prepare for next time.

Thanks again.

giulix63

Re: Basics and more of howTo CentOS

Post by giulix63 » 2016/09/30 06:34:35

You could start with the Linux Bible to give you an organized view, referring to the official documentation as you go along...
Root is evil: Do not use root (sudo) to run any of the commands specified in my posts unless explicitly indicated. Please, provide the necessary amount of context to understand your problem/question.

YumCheeseCake

Post by YumCheeseCake » 2016/09/30 09:42:59

Thanks...

scottro
Forum Moderator

Post by scottro » 2016/09/30 12:27:05

The Michael Jang books are excellent. Although the ones available now are for CentOS-6, and most people are now using CentOS-7, many of the basics have remained the same. (Certainly not all--the init system has changed to systemd, I think some networking things have changed, though one can use the old style), and so on. At any rate, right now, Mr. Jang's books are available for lower than normal prices as everyone is waiting for the RHEL7 books.

There are tons of free resources as well. Many people learn by just firing it up, wanting to do something, then learning how to do that one thing by googling tutorials. There's so much to know that it is difficult to figure out where to start.

The Christopher Negus books can also be quite good. You can get one for say, Fedora 11 or 12 at huge discounts, and that will be quite similar to CentOS.
New users should check the FAQ and Read Me First pages

YumCheeseCake

Post by YumCheeseCake » 2016/10/01 03:20:42

Thanks for the info.

I found a PDF of CentOS definitive should I read that or look for something newer I see it was made in 2009.

I read the first chapter and says CentOS is basically just an unbranded version of red hat so I assume everything I learn about CentOS means I could do same thing with RHEL.

No matter what direction I go I just want to be current and make sure I learn to use in a business setting and not just home use.

The book author you recommended, should I get those or something more current for newest version of red hat Linux / CentOS

I know I can just install and Learn from trial and error but my problem is I don't even know what all is possible.

Wouldn't be useful to only know that I can change a file location.. simple example but I'm sure there are lots of other things that can be done.

Also would like to go the free route but if not possible I understand.

Thanks for taking the time to help a newb.

scottro
Forum Moderator

Post by scottro » 2016/10/01 11:47:06

You can probably find out everything for free, but the advantage of the two authors I name is that they do things in a fairly systematic fashion. As for CentOS and RedHat, yes, CentOS puts out an unbranded version of RedHat and everything you learn from it can be used in RedHat.

I see the last Negus one was for Fedora 14, which had systemd, I think, and it's available very cheaply used, for instance one cent plus 4 dollars shipping. There's also his Linux Bible which covers a lot of RHEL7 (same as CentOS-7).

Another good resource is the free online Rute book http://freecomputerbooks.com/LINUX-Rute ... ition.html, dated but still useful.

Everyone learns in different ways, and if you install it, and then find the things that you want to do that you don't know how to do, then try to do them, that's one way to get started, and most issues you will find there will be solved for free, searching the web. Whether that means you'll learn enough to find a job somewhere is a different story, a lot of that depends upon where you are, what you already do, and so on.

scottro
Forum Moderator

Post by scottro » 2016/10/03 12:10:49

https://www.certdepot.net/rhel7-rhcsa-exam-objectives/ which was mentioned in a different thread, might be a good starting piont.

YumCheeseCake

Post by YumCheeseCake » 2016/10/03 21:16:30

Awesome. You have been very helpful. I appreciate it! ;)

scottro
Forum Moderator

Post by scottro » 2016/10/04 02:40:14

My pleasure. It can be daunting at first, but becomes, in some ways at least, easier as you go along--at least you figure out how _you_ learn best, and can take it from there.