Tftp wants to bind to all interfaces....this is bad!

General support questions
Shadyr

Tftp wants to bind to all interfaces....this is bad!

Post by Shadyr » 2017/03/09 14:14:35

...and this is a problem because I only want to allow it to start on one (something else will be holding that port on the primary system interface).

I am trying to work with the yum installed package tftp-server.

Still pretty new to Centos 7, so I am probably missing an important "how to do this" somewhere. I tried turning it on through xinetd and setting options there. It seems to ignore changes made there, so I (I know, not recommended) edited the tftp.service file directly. Some changes there are reflected when I start tftp, but it does not seem to be honoring "--bind-address x.x.x.x" if added to the ExecStart statement. Is there a nice "single interface how to" for tftp, or does anyone have a working single interface setup that they would not mind sharing conf or service files for?

Thanks!

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: Tftp wants to bind to all interfaces....this is bad!

Post by TrevorH » 2017/03/09 15:10:31

man in.tftpd says you can pass --address

Code: Select all

--address [address][:port], -a [address][:port]
              Specify a specific address and port to listen to when called with the --listen or --foreground option.
              The default is to listen to the tftp port specified in /etc/services on all local addresses.
If you're going to amend service files you should really copy them to /etc/systemd/system and make your changes there. You can make those as an entire overriding file or you can set it up to override only single items.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

Shadyr

Post by Shadyr » 2017/03/09 22:29:11

Thank you for that. It did not work for me, but it did get me started down the path that led to partial success. After another day of tinkering, I found the magic pairing.

I ended up having to 'systemctl edit --full tftp.socket' and change the default [Socket] section to this:

[Socket]
ListenDatagram=1.2.3.4:69 (using my secondary IP that I want to listen on here)
I also had to 'systemctl edit --full tftp.service' and change a few things like so:

[Unit]
Description=Tftp Server
Requires=tftp.socket
After=tftp.socket
Documentation=man:in.tftpd

[Service]
ExecStart=/usr/sbin/in.tftpd -s /tftpboot
StandardInput=socket

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target
A systemctl daemon-reload later, everything seems more or less happy. It still fails to start automatically even though I enabled both socket and service, but it is at least running now.

srvivn21

Post by srvivn21 » 2019/11/06 20:51:44

For anyone who finds this post (like I did) very helpful, but was frustrated by TFPd not starting on boot:

systemctl edit tftp.socket

[Unit]
BindsTo=network-online.target
After=network-online.target

[Socket]
ListenDatagram=
ListenDatagram=192.168.45.254:69
systemctl enable NetworkManager-wait-online.service

The "ListenDatagram=" is required to override the default (ListenDatagram=69). The directive is additive (it will bind ::69 and then try to also bind 192.168.45.254:69, which will fail causing the whole process to exit). Without at least the "After=network-online.target" TFPd will try to start before the IPaddress is available (and fail). network-online.target is not honored by default in CentOS 7 (as of 7.7.1908) (https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1455704) and requires enabling the NetworkManager-wait-online.service.