RPMForge downloaded on CentOS, but still no phpmyadmin

Issues related to applications and software problems
joao2

Post by joao2 » 2012/04/30 20:40:37

I followed these steps:

http://dev.antoinesolutions.com/rpmforge-repository

1. But I didn't delete in step 5 because I don't yet know how to.

2. I get permission denied warning when I try to open the rpforge configuration file by typing in /etc/yum.repos.d/rpmforge.repo

3. And I get no package phpmyadmin available when I do yum install phpmyadmin. This is what worries me as I want to install phpmyadmin, php and ftp, among others.

I'm on a CentOS 6.2 dedi

Could someone be kind enough to instruct me what may be wrong?

pschaff
Retired Moderator

Post by pschaff » 2012/04/30 21:10:17

[quote]
joao2 wrote:
I followed these steps:

1. But I didn't delete in step 5 because I don't yet know how to.[/quote]
If you followed that exactly then you have the CentOS-5 rpmforge-release and not the correct one for CentOS-6. See the Wiki page on [url=http://wiki.centos.org/AdditionalResources/Repositories/RPMForge]RPMforge repo[/url].

[quote]
2. I get permission denied warning when I try to open the rpforge configuration file by typing in /etc/yum.repos.d/rpmforge.repo[/quote]
It is neither an executable nor a script, but a yum repo config, so that should be no surprise.

[quote]
3. And I get no package phpmyadmin available when I do yum install phpmyadmin. This is what worries me as I want to install phpmyadmin, php and ftp, among others.

I'm on a CentOS 6.2 dedi

Could someone be kind enough to instruct me what may be wrong?[/quote]
Probably not without more information. Please [url=http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=28723&forum=54]provide more information about your system[/url] by running "./getinfo.sh package" and showing us the output file.

joao2

Re: RPMForge downloaded on CentOS, but still no phpmyadmin

Post by joao2 » 2012/04/30 22:31:04

Thanks so much for the response.

Indeed, I can't believe it, but I have royally screwed up by following the instructions literally. I've even installed a red hat version of rpm on centos.

How can I erase it all?

I am typing ./getinfo.sh package into putty, but I'm being told

-bash: ./getinfo.sh: No such file or directory

Also running

[root@server1 ~]# ./getinfo.sh package
[root@server1 ~]# "./getinfo.sh package"
-bash: ./getinfo.sh package: No such file or directory

YBellefeuille

Post by YBellefeuille » 2012/04/30 22:59:49

[quote]
I am typing ./getinfo.sh package into putty, but I'm being told

[/quote]

Are you perhaps forgetting the steps that say "save the script to a file using the link above, for example "getinfo.sh", or save it to a local directory, change the permissions to make it executable and run it"?

But undoing what you've done is simple enough. As root, do [b]yum remove rpmforge-release[/b].

[quote]
And I get no package phpmyadmin available when I do yum install phpmyadmin. This is what worries me as I want to install phpmyadmin, php and ftp, among others.
[/quote]

Read Package Management, then read about Available Repositories for CentOS, then read about yum-plugin-priorities and install it, then, as root, install RPMForge using the instructions you've already read at Available Repositories for CentOS, then edit all the files in [b]/etc/yum.repos.d/*.repo[/b] to add, for all repositories marked [b]enabled=1[/b], a line with [b]priority=[/b] and an appropriate number as indicated in yum-plugin-priorities, and then [b][i]and only then[/i][/b] do [b]yum install phpmyadmin[/b].

joao2

Post by joao2 » 2012/05/01 00:47:32

[quote]

YBellefeuille wrote:

Are you perhaps forgetting the steps that say "save the script to a file using the link above, for example "getinfo.sh", or save it to a local directory, change the permissions to make it executable and run it"?

But undoing what you've done is simple enough. As root, do [b]yum remove rpmforge-release[/b].

[/quote]

Well, uninstalling worked fine. And I'd missed on that link, very interesting thanks. But I decided not to install the ElRepo repository because it would probably mess with the CentOS and because ElRepo doesn't seem to have one for CentOS 6, so I'm trying to download the getinfo script by doing wget, and I don't know how to change the permissions to make it executable. Also, once I do find out how to make it executable, I wouldn't know how to extract it out of linux in order to paste it your pastebin on the internet. It would probably end up sitting somewhere in the linux directories and I wouldn't know how to get it to my windows and its browsers.

Last time I was on a dedi, it was also CentOS and I was more of a noob than I am now, and I had a bit of hosting support then whereas now it's unmanaged server, but every single time I tried to install things from third-party repositories it would mess up with the CentOS, every single time, so my hopes are a bit despairing in that department. Support back then kept insisting I never touch third-party repositories, I kept insisting ffmpeg and whatnot required the third party repositories until I desisting and left the server to function with the scripts I'd had it running along beforehand.

Anyway, I've done a wget of http://pkgs.repoforge.org/rpmforge-release/rpmforge-release-0.5.2-2.el6.rf.x86_64.rpm and I'm getting the same package not found message I got with the wrong rpmforge download. This is due to my inability to edit files, as you describe the solution below.

You say that /etc/yum.repos.d/rpmforge.repo isn't an executable, is this why it can't be opened? Would I have to learn how to change it to an executable to complete the steps in the guide?

[quote]
YBellefeuille wrote:

then edit all the files in [b]/etc/yum.repos.d/*.repo[/b] to add, for all repositories marked [b]enabled=1[/b], a line with [b]priority=[/b] and an appropriate number as indicated in yum-plugin-priorities[/quote]

[/quote]

As per your instructions, how do I edit files in that directory, and how do I find out which of the files in that directory are ''marked enabled=1''?

Once I do know how to edit them, would an appropriate N where priority=N be 1 for the RPM repository, the reason being so it would have the same priority as the CentOS Base that is probably already installed with that priority level?

joao2

Post by joao2 » 2012/05/01 05:37:03

Hey buddy I noticed you didn't respond to this post. Was it incoherent or is it offtopic as knowing how to edit files belongs in a linux forum, not a centos forum?

pschaff
Retired Moderator

Post by pschaff » 2012/05/01 12:13:59

[quote]
joao2 wrote:
Hey buddy I noticed you didn't respond to this post. Was it incoherent or is it offtopic as knowing how to edit files belongs in a linux forum, not a centos forum?[/quote]
This support system is run and manned (or womanned :-) ) by volunteers. Many people come and go. Nobody is here 24/7.

[quote]
...so I'm trying to download the getinfo script by doing wget, and I don't know how to change the permissions to make it executable. Also, once I do find out how to make it executable, I wouldn't know how to extract it out of linux in order to paste it your pastebin on the internet.[/quote]
The use of [b]wget[/b] should be good. There are quite explicit instructions in [url=http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=28723&forum=54]How to provide information about your system[/url].

[quote]
It would probably end up sitting somewhere in the linux directories and I wouldn't know how to get it to my windows and its browsers.[/quote]
It will be sitting in the directory where you put it. How you transfer the output file to Windows is up to you. I'd use something like WinSCP, or scp from PuTTY.

joao2

Post by joao2 » 2012/05/01 13:09:39

[quote]
pschaff wrote:

The use of [b]wget[/b] should be good. There are quite explicit instructions in [url=http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=28723&forum=54]How to provide information about your system[/url].
[/quote]

Thanks, but I did:

wget https://raw.github.com/elrepo/packages/master/getinfo/el6/getinfo.sh
chmod +x getinfo.sh
cat - > getinfo.sh

And it just sits there, stuck, as a new line and without even allowing me to log out or get to another command line.

I was thinking the chmod part changes it to an exe.

I also tried the cat line before trying to chmod, and maybe even before I downloaded the package, always with the same result.

joao2

Post by joao2 » 2012/05/01 13:55:07

Ok, I just found out that 'cat > file means edit the file :)

Anyway, so I set the file to priority 3, as indicated by this:

God knows if its the right priority, though. It tells me to yum check-update to make sure it's the correct one. But I can't make head or tails of the answer:

[root@server1 ~]# yum check-update
Loaded plugins: fastestmirror
Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile
* base: mirrors.cat.pdx.edu
* extras: linux.mirrors.es.net
* rpmforge: mirror.cpsc.ucalgary.ca
* updates: mirror.san.fastserv.com

bind.x86_64 32:9.7.3-8.P3.el6_2.2 updates
bind-libs.x86_64 32:9.7.3-8.P3.el6_2.2 updates
bind-utils.x86_64 32:9.7.3-8.P3.el6_2.2 updates
e2fsprogs-devel.x86_64 1.41.12-11.el6 base
krb5-devel.x86_64 1.9-22.el6_2.1 updates
krb5-libs.x86_64 1.9-22.el6_2.1 updates
libffi.x86_64 3.0.9-1.el5.rf rpmforge
libssh2.x86_64 1.2.7-1.el5.rf rpmforge
openssl.x86_64 1.0.0-20.el6_2.4 updates
openssl-devel.x86_64 1.0.0-20.el6_2.4 updates
[root@server1 ~]#

And just as I thought, I'm still getting 'no package phpmyadmin available.

I've also added lines like 'logout' or './getinfo.sh' to the getinfo.sh file from before I knew what cat did, but I doubt that's the issue.

TrevorH
Site Admin

Post by TrevorH » 2012/05/01 14:39:38

Repository priorities can range from 1 (the highest and most preferred) to 99 (the lowest and least preferred). The specific values that you assign to each repo is entirely arbitrary but the idea is that you assign them such that one repo is preferred over another and you give the CentOS repos the most preferred priority so that packages that belong to Centos are not overwritten.

The reason you cannot find phpmyadmin is because this package is not in Rpmforge for el6. You need EPEL instead or as well.