Newbie with questions

Issues related to configuring your network
mosslack

Newbie with questions

Post by mosslack » 2018/01/29 21:01:55

Hello everyone. I am new to CentOS and I am presently trying to setup a file server on my home network. It seems like a lot has changed since the last time I messed with Linux, but I did manage to have the two drives I want to share auto mount when I start up the OS. I also managed to be able to see them on my Windows 7 Ultimate computer. I believe I used the Samba config file to do that. Problem is I cannot access them. Also other times they are not even visible on the network at all. I've tried to access them from a computer on the network running Mac OS Lion and have the same results.

Another problem area I have is that I want the computer desktop to be accessible remotely from other systems on the network via VNC. I have tried a couple of times, unsuccessfully to setup VNC server on the CentOS system. I followed tutorials I found on the internet which go through the motions of all the commands to install and configure the program, but those tutorials never deal with what to do when something doesn't work as they have outlined.

If it's of any consequence, this system is running on an older Gigabyte motherboard with an Intel Core 2 duo 2.2 Mhz CPU and has 2 Gb of RAM. It is just used for network file storage so only 2 Gb should be fine.

Thanks for listening...

Doug

mghe

Re: Newbie with questions

Post by mghe » 2018/01/30 15:44:57

TrevorH
Site Admin

Post by TrevorH » 2018/01/30 16:48:40

That RH document omits the fact that you need to add PAMName=login to the vnc systemd unit file or gnome-session does not start and there is no menu bar etc.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

mosslack

Post by mosslack » 2018/01/30 18:57:36

mghe wrote:Try this config for TigerVNC

https://access.redhat.com/documentation ... h-tigervnc
Okay I will give this a try later on. Thanks!