How to update from 6.x to 7.x

General support questions
kenmorgan

How to update from 6.x to 7.x

Post by kenmorgan » 2018/02/07 18:52:14

For some strange reason, I couldn't find any instructions to upgrade from CentOS 6.x to 7.x on CentOS.org. So, as a long-time member, I came here. I tried to search for some instructions stating my question in several different ways, but nothing came up--I was told the words I used were too common. So how can I find out if there are any instructions on the forum?

My current setup: 64-bit microprocessor but running 32-bit CentOS 6.x.

Is there any set of instructions available?

Thanks.

Ken
CentOS 6

jlehtone

Re: How to update from 6.x to 7.x

Post by jlehtone » 2018/02/07 20:42:04

Short version:
You install CentOS 7 and configure it the way you want.

There is no "conversion procedure". You have to know what system configurations you want (i.e. have probably used in 6) and figure out how to implement something similar with the new 7 install (for 7 has different features and different configuration mechanisms than 6).

User data you will obviously preserve. Personal desktop/application preferences might not apply/convert with the new versions, but documents are documents.

Personally, I try to leave unused disk space for the / partition of the next major version. Therefore, when I do install a new version I have no need to touch the current version's /. More than that, I can mount the old OS's partition to look at settings in it while running the new OS. Furthermore, I can still boot to the previous versions. Even if I had no free space, I might have partition scheme and filesystems that allow a shrink to make space. (XFS, the default in 7, does not support shrink.)

You do have valid backup? That is a concrete instruction: always have a backup.

TrevorH
Site Admin

Post by TrevorH » 2018/02/07 23:13:40

There is no upgrade path. You install in parallel and migrate or backup/restore.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

kenmorgan

Post by kenmorgan » 2018/02/08 20:14:57

Thanks so much jlehtone and TrevorH.

I was hoping for an upgrade path to make it easier and faster. But I've done it the other way, and I guess I'll have to do that way again.

:(

By the way--jlehtone, I noticed you are in Finland. My wife's ancestry if Finish. Her grandparents came over from Finland to Michigan's Upper Peninsula for work in the copper-mining industry. That was somewhere around 1900. Thousands of Fins came here to work in the mines during the 1800s and 1900s. The climates are quite similar. The last mine closed around 1950, but this area still has a large Finish population. The city of Hancock has its street names in both Finish and English!! :)

Ken
CentOS 6