Best Method for CentOS 7.3 or 7.4 NFSRoot Multi-Diskless Clients

General support questions
Jalical

Best Method for CentOS 7.3 or 7.4 NFSRoot Multi-Diskless Clients

Post by Jalical » 2018/03/14 16:40:50

I've continued research down different methods of TMPFS storage local (devicemapper, overlayfs, rd.live) and still cannot find a workable method for my requirements.

I need to have multiple clients booting via PXE (30+)
I need to serve root files via NFS (or HTTPS, tftp, ftp etc)
I need to do this all non-persistently with no storage locally. Integrated with a few apps i've created as sort of a POS system setup. I do not need to save anything, everything can be written to local tmpfs.
Some of the apps place files in weird locations. I'd rather not continue down the whack-a-mole path of specifically listing files in rwtab as I come across them, as I invariably miss some. The best approach would be to serve files, and copy on write ala a Docker model to local tmpfs.

My experience - readonly-root with readonly flag on craps out anytime I do not have perfectly created the RWtab.
Readonly-root with no on readonly but yes on temporary storage works but writes files not specifically transited to the local tmpfs on boot.

Jalical

Re: Best Method for CentOS 7.3 or 7.4 NFSRoot Multi-Diskless Clients

Post by Jalical » 2018/03/19 17:36:32

Bump--

I'll be trying the SQFS over NFS method today a bit more and learning about live-mapper calls.