Trouble installing from thumb drive

General support questions
firewing26

Trouble installing from thumb drive

Post by firewing26 » 2018/04/17 02:43:25

I have recently pooled some older PC components together to create a PC that I am wanting to use as a home file server and so the PC is a complete blank as far as the HDD is concerned. I have downloaded the latest DVD version of CentOS 7 and used unetbootin to create a thumbdrive installer on my primary PC. although I thought I did. Whenever I put the thumb drive in and set the bios to boot from it first I get nothing but a fast flashing cursor in the top left of my screen. In case it took a while to load I let it sit for almost an hour and did some other things but when I returned nothing had changed. I have tried the process several times with the everything version and the DVD version. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Hardware

ASUS sabertooth mobo
AMD FX 8120 processor
6GB RAM
1TB HDD
Video card I have no clue what it is but its not powerful at all.

To be sure that it was not a hardware failure from sitting in boxes for over a year I installed windows 10 on the machine and everything checks out to be working appropriately.

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: Trouble installing from thumb drive

Post by TrevorH » 2018/04/17 06:12:17

Don't use unetbootin, it's broken for CentOS isos. See http/wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey for a list of the known-broken utilities and use one that isn't, preferably 'dd'.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

firewing26

Post by firewing26 » 2018/04/17 19:01:54

That did it!

Thank you so much for your help!

desertcat

Post by desertcat » 2018/04/17 22:42:46

firewing26 wrote:I have recently pooled some older PC components together to create a PC [/color][/b]that I am wanting to use as a home file server and so the PC is a complete blank as far as the HDD is concerned. I have downloaded the latest DVD version of CentOS 7 and used unetbootin to create a thumbdrive installer on my primary PC. although I thought I did. Whenever I put the thumb drive in and set the bios to boot from it first I get nothing but a fast flashing cursor in the top left of my screen. In case it took a while to load I let it sit for almost an hour and did some other things but when I returned nothing had changed. I have tried the process several times with the everything version and the DVD version. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Hardware

ASUS sabertooth mobo
AMD FX 8120 processor
6GB RAM
1TB HDD
Video card I have no clue what it is but its not powerful at all.

To be sure that it was not a hardware failure from sitting in boxes for over a year I installed windows 10 on the machine and everything checks out to be working appropriately.
:D :D I's sure like to know when you bought that mobo. I'm surprised you don't have a DVD player installed though -- surely you must have one of those laying about the place somewhere. Do admire "your throw it together" spirit though. The 6 GB of RAM is a bit wimpy though. Nice job!!