Any guess on when CentOS will update Firefox to ESR 60?

Issues related to applications and software problems
jimj

Any guess on when CentOS will update Firefox to ESR 60?

Post by jimj » 2018/05/12 20:45:07

According to https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/ Firefox ESR 60 was released on 09MAY2018. Any guesstimate on when Redhat will upgrade Firefox to version 60? It looks like the old ESR 52 will be supported until 21AUG2018, so I assume the upgrade would happen by then at the latest.

bonedome

Re: Any guess on when CentOS will update Firefox to ESR 60?

Post by bonedome » 2018/05/13 11:36:16

Thanks for letting us know, I've just been trying it out, mostly to see which addons still work.
If you want to try it without messing with the installed version.
Download preferred language https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/o ... tions/all/
extract, open terminal and either cd to the firefox folder and run ./firefox --ProfileManager or execute the full path ~/firefox/firefox --ProfileManager
create a new profile and close the dialogue box
Then

Code: Select all

./firefox -P newprofilename --no-remote
This will run as a completely separate instance i.e you can run them both at the same time.
I notice the url bar is now also the search bar like chrome and others, not a big fan.

avij
Retired Moderator

Post by avij » 2018/05/13 12:07:24

I don't know if RH is going to tell when exactly this is going to happen, but apparently it is indeed in their plans. Looking at the open bugs it looks like there are some problems with non-x86_64 architectures that will need to be fixed first, among other possible issues.

jimj

Post by jimj » 2018/05/18 19:43:12

bonedome wrote:This will run as a completely separate instance i.e you can run them both at the same time.
I notice the url bar is now also the search bar like chrome and others, not a big fan.
Thanks for the instructions, installing Firefox manually was easier than I'd thought it'd be. I don't use the URL bar for searching, but having the capability there doesn't bother me. I do miss my incompatible add-ons, but since Firefox 60 is so much faster on my PC I'm willing to accept that trade off.
avij wrote:I don't know if RH is going to tell when exactly this is going to happen, but apparently it is indeed in their plans. Looking at the open bugs it looks like there are some problems with non-x86_64 architectures that will need to be fixed first, among other possible issues.
Thanks for the info. I'm following the rebase bug you linked to so I can notified when it's time to switch back to RPM.