Dual Boot - Windows is Gone

General support questions
TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: Dual Boot - Windows is Gone

Post by TrevorH » 2018/07/14 09:33:40

As I suspected your file system is all mangled, and the solution is to rename all the mangled files. It is as simple as that
What evidence do you have for that?
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

desertcat

Post by desertcat » 2018/07/14 11:42:35

TrevorH wrote:
2018/07/14 09:33:40
As I suspected your file system is all mangled, and the solution is to rename all the mangled files. It is as simple as that
Been there and done that... complete with the linux_proxi files, mangled names, a totally non-booting system. While prowling around in Grub Customizer I came across 3 files that should rescue you from *any* disaster. The README files identified them as boot_grub, default_grub, and etc_grub.d.

How to restore this backup
--------------------------
* make sure you have root permissions (`gksu nautilus` or `sudo -s` on command line) otherwise you won't be able to copy the files
* to fix an unbootable configuration, just copy:
* '/etc/grub.d/backup/boot_grub' to '/boot/grub2'
* to reset the whole configuration (if it cannot be fixed by using grub customizer), also copy these files:
* '/etc/grub.d/backup/etc_grub_d' to '/etc/grub.d'
* '/etc/grub.d/backup/default_grub' to '/etc/default/grub'

As it so happened I had backuped the machine and was able to compare what the files were BEFORE I had my problems and AFTER I had my problems ( I had mount the drive under KNOPPIX to access it ) Once I had renamed all the files and put them back in order saved all the files and ran grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg then rebooted the machine lo and behold I was back in business. Having learned my lesson the hard way I have now made a copy of /boot/grub2/grub.cfg, /etc/default/grub, and /etc/grub.d. I have had my machine go out into the weeds a couple of times for unknown reason, and the solution was to simple delete the offending file/directory, copy my backup file/directory in the correct place, and then simply reboot the machine. Is this PROOF that mangled files are the problem?? Can't say for sure. Is there some association between the jacked files and the problem? Seems to be though I would be hard pressed to say exactly what the problem is. The fact that I can quickly recover by simply deleting the messed up files and then copying my backup files into place and then rebooting the machine is an Ace In the Hole.

TrevorH
Site Admin

Post by TrevorH » 2018/07/14 13:36:55

I don't believe that has anything at all to do with the current problem.

8675309-jim I would suggest that you try adusting your Windows boot stanza in grub.cfg to attempt booting from /dev/sda2 and /dev/sda3 in turn and see if either of those boots. However I am not at all confident that either will work but it is worth a try.

What I think has happened is that your /dev/sda2 used to be the windows boot loader partition but that somehow, during the installation, it's been reformatted and probably reused as your /boot or something. It's a guess and not one that I can confirm. You could try mounting /dev/sda2 on linux and then checking its contents to see what is present and see if we can work out what it is from that. I could be wrong and hope that I am.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

hunter86_bg

Post by hunter86_bg » 2018/07/14 19:52:32

Even if /dev/sda2 was the actual windows bootloader - he can still repair his windows via install media and start over with the deployment of CentOS from scratch.
So, despite all the trouble, the situation is still OK.

8675309-jim

Post by 8675309-jim » 2018/07/16 00:01:36

TrevorH wrote:
2018/07/14 13:36:55
I don't believe that has anything at all to do with the current problem.

8675309-jim I would suggest that you try adusting your Windows boot stanza in grub.cfg to attempt booting from /dev/sda2 and /dev/sda3 in turn and see if either of those boots. However I am not at all confident that either will work but it is worth a try.

What I think has happened is that your /dev/sda2 used to be the windows boot loader partition but that somehow, during the installation, it's been reformatted and probably reused as your /boot or something. It's a guess and not one that I can confirm. You could try mounting /dev/sda2 on linux and then checking its contents to see what is present and see if we can work out what it is from that. I could be wrong and hope that I am.
Trevor,

thank you for the help!!! and thank all of you for the help!!! Much appreciated....

I did try what you said Trevor, several times, but it didn't work, so I tried re-installing windows which work for a minute than not at all, and gave me a BSOD, which had me screwing around with that stuff for awhile. Still couldn't boot into windows or even Cent OS after that. Right now i'm re-installing Cent OS and should be up and running in a few.

I'm really at my wits end here, and may end up just bringing the machine to someone. I may try what someone else suggested and change all of my files, but before I do what proof do i have or you for saying he is wrong or right? As a matter of fact what proof do I have that any of this is right?

Here is an email that i don't use often, but if someone is serious about helping reach out to me, and maybe you or someone can walk me through some stuff over the phone....... my email [moderator: removed, we do not recommend posting personal information in public]

8675309-jim

Post by 8675309-jim » 2018/07/16 00:05:16

desertcat wrote:
2018/07/14 11:42:35
TrevorH wrote:
2018/07/14 09:33:40
Been there and done that... complete with the linux_proxi files, mangled names, a totally non-booting system. While prowling around in Grub Customizer I came across 3 files that should rescue you from *any* disaster. The README files identified them as boot_grub, default_grub, and etc_grub.d.

How to restore this backup
--------------------------
* make sure you have root permissions (`gksu nautilus` or `sudo -s` on command line) otherwise you won't be able to copy the files
* to fix an unbootable configuration, just copy:
* '/etc/grub.d/backup/boot_grub' to '/boot/grub2'
* to reset the whole configuration (if it cannot be fixed by using grub customizer), also copy these files:
* '/etc/grub.d/backup/etc_grub_d' to '/etc/grub.d'
* '/etc/grub.d/backup/default_grub' to '/etc/default/grub'

As it so happened I had backuped the machine and was able to compare what the files were BEFORE I had my problems and AFTER I had my problems ( I had mount the drive under KNOPPIX to access it ) Once I had renamed all the files and put them back in order saved all the files and ran grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg then rebooted the machine lo and behold I was back in business. Having learned my lesson the hard way I have now made a copy of /boot/grub2/grub.cfg, /etc/default/grub, and /etc/grub.d. I have had my machine go out into the weeds a couple of times for unknown reason, and the solution was to simple delete the offending file/directory, copy my backup file/directory in the correct place, and then simply reboot the machine. Is this PROOF that mangled files are the problem?? Can't say for sure. Is there some association between the jacked files and the problem? Seems to be though I would be hard pressed to say exactly what the problem is. The fact that I can quickly recover by simply deleting the messed up files and then copying my backup files into place and then rebooting the machine is an Ace In the Hole.
desertcat, I'm not saying you are lying, but how do I know I can actually trust what you are saying? Listening to people is what got me in this mess to begin with. If you are serious about helping me and I think you are reach out to me via email: [moderator: removed]

Thank you

desertcat

Post by desertcat » 2018/07/16 09:17:51

desertcat, I'm not saying you are lying, but how do I know I can actually trust what you are saying? Listening to people is what got me in this mess to begin with. If you are serious about helping me and I think you are reach out to me via email: [moderator: removed]

Thank you
Jim I just sent you a pm. Please keep us posted.

The Desert Cat

8675309-jim

Post by 8675309-jim » 2018/07/17 01:31:16

desertcat,
I do not see a private message, but thanks

desertcat

Post by desertcat » 2018/07/17 09:42:07

8675309-jim wrote:
2018/07/17 01:31:16
desertcat,
I do not see a private message, but thanks
Bummer man. I try to repost it to you tomorrow. I suffer from MIGRAINES and it is the monsoon. Time for a drug induced cat nap before this gets any worse. Later.

Desert Cat