Error while attempting to install GUI, Linux Noob alert!

General support questions
hardrooster

Error while attempting to install GUI, Linux Noob alert!

Post by hardrooster » 2018/07/17 15:00:20

Total Linux Noob, so please be patient. I've made it much further into the process that I thought I ever would before I needed to ask for help...of course this may be the root of my problem.

Before I do anything, I'm working on an IBM System x3200 M3 Server with 4 hard drives, the idea is to have them configured in RAID 1 and use it as an encrypted NAS. I had previously fiddled around in the UEFI and figured out how to configure the virtual drive is said manner. I'm not sure it was necessary, but it was done.

I've downloaded CentOS7, I used Win32DiskImager for some reason I've already forgotten, something to do with installing from USB, which is what I did.

I went through the whole set up interface, set up a password and log in and security stuff, that all seems to have gone well.

Now I'm at the step... I think... where I am to install the GUI. To do this, I'm watching this video;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8YWxLZBjYc

Now he's launching from a virtual machine, and I am not. So that's different. But it seems to be working to a point, I get to 1:08 in the video and you'll see he just has a hand-full of ~ symbols on his screen. On my screen, it's all ~ symbols and I can't seem to scroll up or down using arrows, or page up/down keys. The system just beeps at me when I try to do it in insert mode.

So...any idea what I've done wrong?

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: Error while attempting to install GUI, Linux Noob alert!

Post by TrevorH » 2018/07/17 15:08:20

I get to 1:08 in the video and
For me, 1:08 into that video is them editing a file in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts and saving the changes. There are no symbols on the screen at all. On the offchance that it was a typo I also tried 2:08 and that just has a normal looking GUI license acceptance screen on it.

Taking a wild stab in the dark, try yum install xorg-x11-fonts-Type1 and see if that helps.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

hardrooster

Post by hardrooster » 2018/07/17 20:29:40

TrevorH wrote:
2018/07/17 15:08:20

For me, 1:08 into that video is them editing a file in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts and saving the changes. There are no symbols on the screen at all.
Well that's more odd than my error. When I watch the video, that file editing bit begins at 0:32

0:32 video tells you to type "cd /etc/sysconfig//network-scripts" and hit enter
0:45 next step type "vi ifcfg-enp0s3" and hit enter
1:01 is the point enter is pressed in the last step, and the ~ symbos arrive. He has exactly 8 of them, I have a screen full and this is where it falls apart for me. This is where he says to press i to enter INSERT mode...which I did. I can't move my cursor around with the arrow keys or page up/down keys. Not sure if I'm supposed to be using a different set of keys in linux? That would be painfully unintuitive.
1:08 the next step in the video is where I'm supposed to move to ONBOOT and change it, but I can't move around, as mentioned before.

I'll give your yum thing a try, exactly how do I do that? Right after the log-in? Do I need to do some other hoopla first? Keep in mind I'm following along with this video, typing all this stuff in, and it's a complete foreign language too me, I may as well be typing out Chinese characters for as much as I understand what's happening.

hardrooster

Post by hardrooster » 2018/07/17 23:00:02

The yum thing didn't work.

One of the configured repositories failed (Unknown),
and yum doesn't have enough cached data to continue. At this point the only safe thing yum can do is fail. There are a few ways to work "fix" this:

Then there is a list of 5 confusing things.

hardrooster

Post by hardrooster » 2018/07/19 14:50:21

Should I at this point try a re-install? Some other command ideas? I need halp :cry:

TrevorH
Site Admin

Post by TrevorH » 2018/07/19 14:58:45

I don't even understand what the problem is. The video you linked to just looks like normal behaviour for vim. There are no weird characters on his screen, it looks like a normal ifcfg file to me.

Perhaps you need a vim tutorial/cheat sheet like https://developers.redhat.com/promotion ... heatsheet/ to help understand how it works? Vim is a fine editor and the one used by default but it is a little tricky to get to grips with the first time you use it.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

hardrooster

Post by hardrooster » 2018/07/20 00:44:35

So far over my head, lol, I'm sorry. Like I may have said, I'm so lost, I don't even know what questions to ask.

TLDR Questions is: How do I desktop?

Extended Version;

I took the time to create an account and log in to RedHat so I could download that cheat sheet. I have absolutely no idea what to do with it. Nothing, and I mean nothing about it makes any sense to me. I'm so much more noob than that. I have never used Linux before, save for my once attempt to get Linux Puppy going, which actually did, but it didn't recognize any of my hard drives. (I booted that from a USB)

So anyway, per your last reply, I did a web search for "Linux Vim" looking for a tutorial, because I don't want to be a total hassle, and I am, I really am trying to figure this out on my own...so I landed here;

https://www.linux.com/learn/vim-101-beginners-guide-vim

It's a text editor, like MS Word or something? I'm not trying to do that. I can't even get the OS to start. That's my problem, I can't get to anything that resembles a desktop. When I follow along in that video, my machine locks up, like I said, and endless screen of ~ characters and the sytem speaker just beeps at me if i touch any keyboard key...and nothing happens. I have to ctrl-alt-del.

How do I desktop? At the end of the video, there is a CentOS7 desktop. I just want to make it that far right now.

hardrooster

Post by hardrooster » 2018/07/22 19:46:46

https://unix.stackexchange.com/question ... s-7#181504

I've tried all of this as well, nothing happens. I type it in and hit enter and I just get another prompt.