Fresh instal Centos 7 1804 getting red console text

General support questions
vinnie

Fresh instal Centos 7 1804 getting red console text

Post by vinnie » 2018/11/10 20:53:46

Hello,

Just installed a fresh copy of CentOS 7 1804 and getting a red console text/prompt. After a X amount of time, the console colors automatically turn to the correct colors white fonts and black background. But can not wait of course every X amount of time (30+ minutes) to get start to use the operating system.

Any idea why this is?

I also tried installing an older version of CentOS 7 1611, then when booted in level 3 (console) text. Then all colors are fine (white on black background). When doing an upgrade from here, which will be the Centos 7 1804 and then when rebooting, i get the red fonts color again.

(strangely it resolves by it self to normal colors again white + black background after some time...X minutes. but prefer not to wait that long :) and somehow solve the issue).

Any ideas or help would be appreciated.

Thank you

desertcat

Re: Fresh instal Centos 7 1804 getting red console text

Post by desertcat » 2018/11/11 02:04:14

Hummmmmmm. This *may* or *may NOT* mean your monitor is on its last legs. If instead of seeing a WHITE background you start seeing a PINK or RED background that means that one of your RGB "guns" is about to give out. The reason it goes back to white is because as the electronics heat up there is a color shift. If your monitor is several years old it is a sign that it might well be time to start seeing if you can snag a good deal on a NEW monitor. One thing you could try to do is change the monitor's "color profile" and see if it my help, but at best this is a temporary stop gap measure.

TrevorH
Site Admin

Post by TrevorH » 2018/11/11 02:16:15

No, there's a bug in the console driver, introduced a release or two ago, that sets certain consoles to red text, I think by accident. There was a bugs.centos.org entry for it and may well be a bugzilla.redhat.com one too.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

vinnie

Re: Fresh install Centos 7 1804 getting red console text

Post by vinnie » 2018/11/11 11:14:41

Hello,

@desertcat I was for a moment thinking too that it might be the monitor, so i did switch monitors and same on both monitors.
and I actually for moment thought it was something new having red fonts console, as its a "red hat" origin :)) as a signature distro lol. Would have been funny.

@TravorH Ok good to know it has been reported already. I guess it is save to continue using the OS. Should I wait for the next updates till the bug is fixed or does the bug entry describe a direct solution? could not find the bug entry...

Thank you!

TrevorH
Site Admin

Post by TrevorH » 2018/11/11 14:11:13

It'll only get fixed when Redhat decide to fix it. The best chance is that the 7.6 kernel will fix it but since I've not yet had a chance to boot that, I don't know if it does or not.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

desertcat

Re: Fresh install Centos 7 1804 getting red console text

Post by desertcat » 2018/11/11 16:01:44

vinnie wrote:
2018/11/11 11:14:41
Hello,

@desertcat I was for a moment thinking too that it might be the monitor, so i did switch monitors and same on both monitors.
and I actually for moment thought it was something new having red fonts console, as its a "red hat" origin :)) as a signature distro lol. Would have been funny.

@TravorH Ok good to know it has been reported already. I guess it is save to continue using the OS. Should I wait for the next updates till the bug is fixed or does the bug entry describe a direct solution? could not find the bug entry...

Thank you!
Ah!! I had the the situation where the monitor I had been using for YEARS without problem overnight went from white to PINK!! I "corrected" the problem by adjusting the color balance of the monitor, but it was temporary patch. I bought a NEW monitor, mounted it and the problem went away. Glad TrevorH knew about the problem and could give you the correct information.

vinnie

Post by vinnie » 2018/11/11 22:21:56

Thank you for the info! Yes good to know it is going to be solved. I will wait for the 7.6 kernel update to see how it is. Maybe pink then :)

*To get around this issue when installing the machine further, you can just connect remotely to the machine, with ssh for example, with a client on another computer and then the colors and everything displays fine within that client. I have used putty as client in this case.

Thanks!