Red Hat 6.1 final is out !!! when centos 6.1 ?

A 5 star hangout for overworked and underpaid system admins.
carlainz

Post by carlainz » 2011/05/19 15:39:24

http://www.redhat.com/about/news/prarchive/2011/Red-Hat-Delivers-Red-Hat-Enterprise-Linux-6-1

NedSlider
Forum Moderator

Re: Red Hat 6.1 final is out !!! when centos 6.1 ?

Post by NedSlider » 2011/05/19 18:56:06

CentOS 6.0 has probably slipped to June. A point release has typically been taking 8-12 weeks so I'd guess CentOS 6.1 should be sometime around August.

Isaac-1

Post by Isaac-1 » 2011/05/19 19:08:59

That is nice and all, but it seems like I remember hearing that Centos 6.0 had slipped to January about 6 months ago.

canuck15

Post by canuck15 » 2011/05/19 20:09:04

The reason you are not getting many responses is because a lot of people have given up on CentOS and moved on. All indications are the project is dying. This is following the same pattern as other projects that have died in similar fashion. They keep slipping the release giving all kinds of excuse and keep promising it's just around the corner and ALWAYS always denying the project is dying Till it basically withers on the vine and people stop responding.

I have been running SL6 for awhile now and am quite comfortable with it as an alternative. I don't think they have officially released 6.1 but there are a lot of updates already available so it's pretty close.

scottro
Forum Moderator

Post by scottro » 2011/05/19 20:36:23

Errm, no. The reason you're not getting many responses is because people are getting tired of hearing the same old arguments and sky is falling statements from people who are seeming to just come to the forums to say, "CentOS is dying, leave now, hurry."

If you feel the writing is on the wall, there is SL, and of course, RH if you want to spend the money.

If you are happy with SL, that's great. It's a wonderful project with good people.

Ideal

Post by Ideal » 2011/05/20 00:08:51

[quote]
canuck15 wrote:
The reason you are not getting many responses is because a lot of people have given up on CentOS and moved on. All indications are the project is dying. [/quote]

Hardly :roll: . While there are certain people that are loudly complaining and moaning there are others like myself that are waiting patiently. Call us the silent majority if you will.

RonB

Post by RonB » 2011/05/20 02:28:33

[quote]
canuck15 wrote:
The reason you are not getting many responses is because a lot of people have given up on CentOS and moved on. All indications are the project is dying. This is following the same pattern as other projects that have died in similar fashion. They keep slipping the release giving all kinds of excuse and keep promising it's just around the corner and ALWAYS always denying the project is dying Till it basically withers on the vine and people stop responding.

I have been running SL6 for awhile now and am quite comfortable with it as an alternative. I don't think they have officially released 6.1 but there are a lot of updates already available so it's pretty close.[/quote]

No, the reason he's not getting many responses is that we've heard the same bitch over and over again, about a billion times and and we know that all the whiners are going to whine no matter how times the issue is explained. That's what they do, whine. Meanwhile the developers are actually doing the work.

And all the whiners who've moved to SL "quite happily" (so they say) are still here bitching about CentOS -- even though they're so "happy" with SL. Right. What, did those on the SL forums tell you to get over yourself also?

LazLong

Post by LazLong » 2011/05/20 10:15:59

[quote]
canuck15 wrote:
I have been running SL6 for awhile now and am quite comfortable with it as an alternative. I don't think they have officially released 6.1 but there are a lot of updates already available so it's pretty close.[/quote]

I too have given up on CentOS and moved to SL for my personal use, only having returned to the forums in morbid curiosity as to the reaction to RHEL 6.1's release. However, I'd like to point out that CentOS is maintained purely by volunteers without any substantial corporate sponsorship and as such comparing it to SL is unfair. The SL project receives a good deal of funding from the US Department of Energy, among other entities. DOE places a good deal of emphasis on security and the Laboratories each have policies dictating the mandatory application of security patches within a short time followIng vendor release. Thus SL's relatively quick turnaround on updates.

I'm sure if CentOS were to have a number of full-time computer scientists devoted to the project, as SL does, we would see releases much sooner. I don't have figures, but I'd bet CentOS is one of the most poorly funded projects with such a high number of commercial leeches, er, uh, users.

Cheile

Post by Cheile » 2011/05/20 13:04:44

[quote]
I'm sure if CentOS were to have a number of full-time computer scientists devoted to the project, as SL does, we would see releases much sooner. I don't have figures, but I'd bet CentOS is one of the most poorly funded projects with such a high number of commercial leeches, er, uh, users.[/quote]

I know that anti-corporatism is all the rage these days but I'd like to point out as a former corporate "leech, er, uh, user" who was in the position to get donations for CentOS for 4 years I never even approached management about it because the only thing I ever read about donations from the devs and forum admins was along the line of "Have no idea what it's used for. Don't care anyway! If you wanna help go test some CentOS-Plus packages. Now Shoo!"

Then for a while donations were actually going to somebody's personal business....

I personally think that CentOS could use a fulltime paid dev and could actually pay one if they set themselves up as a 501(c)(3) and were open about what happens with the money.

RonB

Post by RonB » 2011/05/20 22:06:02

[quote]
LazLong wrote:

I too have given up on CentOS and moved to SL for my personal use, only having returned to the forums in morbid curiosity as to the reaction to RHEL 6.1's release. However, I'd like to point out that CentOS is maintained purely by volunteers without any substantial corporate sponsorship and as such comparing it to SL is unfair. The SL project receives a good deal of funding from the US Department of Energy, among other entities. DOE places a good deal of emphasis on security and the Laboratories each have policies dictating the mandatory application of security patches within a short time followIng vendor release. Thus SL's relatively quick turnaround on updates.

I'm sure if CentOS were to have a number of full-time computer scientists devoted to the project, as SL does, we would see releases much sooner. I don't have figures, but I'd bet CentOS is one of the most poorly funded projects with such a high number of commercial leeches, er, uh, users.[/quote]

But the fact remains that SL turn-around is not faster than CentOS overall. It took them nearly 4 months to get 6.0 out (working on it exclusively), 4.9 came out after that and 5.6 is still in beta -- so, overall, it's taking them about the same amount of time for these three releases. It was their priority that was different. Past release dates show that SL and CentOS take almost the same amount of time to rebuild each point release, with CentOS usually coming out slightly more quickly.

So, even with all their resources, it takes them about as long as CentOS. That should probably hint that there is a certain amount of time required for the process and you pretty much can't get away from it.