Network configuration of centos VM

Issues related to applications and software problems
ludomania007

Network configuration of centos VM

Post by ludomania007 » 2019/05/24 09:07:21

I use CentOs7 on several virtual Machines and i got some issues with network configuration. I use network manager so i have to choose for each NIC a wired connection that correspond to that NIC. But some times the wired connection changes when i reboot, there are sometimes more wired connection than NIC and that is very annoying because it look like i have to test to see which wired connection correspond to the right physical network.

And when i look to network script the naming of script do not correspond to what i expect. I knew that network script shoud look like ifcfg_ethN (N is the number of the ethernet network interface) but here i have name like ifcfg_wired_connection_1 ... these names changes sometimes after reboot ... in the script itself there no DEVICE or HWADRESS value just an UUID that i don't understand and some times i can have 4 scripts while i only have 2 NIC. The consequence of all of thisi is that when VM reboot network have to be configured manually to ensure that each NIC get the adress of it physical network ..

How can i fix these?
How can i revert to eth0..ethN style of interface naming?

jlehtone

Re: Network configuration of centos VM

Post by jlehtone » 2019/05/24 09:30:05

I have CentOS VM's and they all get ethN-style device names by default. Furthermore, I have not seen renaming to occur, except when I did explicitly change interfaces assigned to a VM via the virtualization platform (libvirt+KVM). Even that was predictable.

We cannot see what you have done, what you have, nor what actually happens in your system. You have to show more facts before we can help.

TrevorH
Site Admin

Post by TrevorH » 2019/05/24 10:06:28

How can i revert to eth0..ethN style of interface naming?
Under normal circumstances: by reading the second bullet point in the CentOS 7 FAQ (link in sig below)
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

ludomania007

Post by ludomania007 » 2019/05/24 17:35:59

@jlehtone i don't know what kind of information you need ..i use xenserver as hypervisor and xencenter his interface. Of course some time i add or remive network interface on VM it add wired connection in network manager and network script but none of that is naming ethN even at the first install i still have ifcfg_wired_connection_N ... i try to explain as detailed as possible .. i use centos 7.6, xenserver 7.6. Do you have some specific questions?

@TrevorH i don't really understand your post, i go the fact, was it the "readme first" that you suggest me? i don't really understand the point with my post. Sorry. Can you more specific?

Thanks

TrevorH
Site Admin

Post by TrevorH » 2019/05/24 20:21:23

Wrong link, I forgot that the one pointing to the FAQ in my sig only points to our own forum which has it buried in it somewhere, who knows where!

It should've pointed to http://wiki.centos.org/FAQ and it's bullet point #3 in the CentOS 7 FAQ link there.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke