boot installer hangs at anaconda GUI (via IPMI)

Issues related to applications and software problems and general support
foolala

boot installer hangs at anaconda GUI (via IPMI)

Post by foolala » 2019/11/06 15:28:07

Hello,

I'm attempting to install CentOS 8 on a dedicated server via IPMI using the CentOS-8-x86_64-1905-boot.iso. The server is a OVH INFRA-3:

Code: Select all

AMD Epyc 7371 - 16 c / 32 t - 3.1 GHz / 3.8 GHz
128GB DDR4 ECC 2400MHz
2x960GB SSD NVMe Soft RAID
I am able to boot the installer and it gets to the point where the anaconda GUI is about to load, but then it hangs and just displays a black screen. At this point, monitoring my local network traffic shows that the IPMI interface has stopped uploading data from the attached CentOS-8-x86_64-1905-boot.iso.

I've tried a number of kernel boot options, including various combinations of:

nomodeset acpi=off nolapic
I have also tried the VNC option, but the installer crashes with a python/xvnc timeout error when attempting to start xvnc.

inst.vnc inst.vncpassword=foobar ip=dhcp
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. I'm now going to attempt the install with CentOS-8-x86_64-1905-dvd1.iso, but as the image is 7GB+, it may take a lot of time for IPMI to load it.

foolala

Re: boot installer hangs at anaconda GUI (via IPMI)

Post by foolala » 2019/11/06 22:58:06

Same results with the dvd1.iso.

I tried again with the boot.iso using these kernel boot options:

nomodeset inst.xdriver=vesa inst.resolution=1024x768 selinux=0 inst.loglevel=debug
This time the screen didn't go black, but I got the infamous "X startup failed, falling back to text mode" error. I was able to ALT + CTRL + F2 into a shell and get networking going and grab some logs:

...redacted...

I couldn't find any clues in any of those.

But now that I can get networking going, perhaps I can start a vnc server manually from the anaconda shell and continue the install remotely. Anyone know how to start anaconda's vnc sever manually?

BTW I am able to get other GUI's to work over IPMI (such as gparted-live-1.0.0-5-amd64.iso), so far this issue seems limited to the CentOS 8 installer
Last edited by foolala on 2019/11/07 04:51:57, edited 1 time in total.

foolala

Post by foolala » 2019/11/07 04:48:26

Finally got it installed via graphical installer + VNC. It was tricky, so here is my process for the sake of human posterity and sanity.

There were two issues the installer faced with this server and possibly IPMI:

A. Anaconda graphical refused to start (maybe due to a xdriver issue, who knows).
B. VNC server didn't work because the network wasn't being brought up.

I gave up on A and focused on B.

Start your IPMI session, attach the CentOS boot .iso file as a virtual CDROM, and restart the server. Hit F11 to enter the boot order menu, and choose the USB Virtual CDROM0 (I did not choose the UEFI Virtual CDROM0 boot option because all the UEFI shit has been disabled in the BIOS).

Start the installer with these kernel boot options (select "Install..." and hit tab when the installer first starts), and substitute something else for YOURPASS:

inst.vnc inst.vncpassword=YOURPASS ip=dhcp selinux=0
(Note: ip=dhcp selinux=0 options may not be necessary)

The installer will begin and this will take a long time because you're installing it a million miles away over IPMI. You will know you're getting close when you see this:

The anaconda graphical installer will try to start and you'll see the a python error about an xvnc timeout and VNC failed to start, probably because the installer has no network connection. You can verify that it's given up by watching your local network traffic - if you're no longer uploading gobs of data from the .iso attached to the IPMI, then it's done.

Now hit CTRL + ALT + F2 (you may need to use the IPMI software keyboard). This will bring up a separate shell process from the anaconda installer. Let's get your network going:

cd /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts
vi ifcfg-enpWHATEVER (there should be an ifcfg file for each network interface)
  change ONBOOT=no ----> ONBOOT=yes
systemctl restart NetworkManager.service

Optional step
if you must, you can now get sshd running like this:

cp /etc/ssh/sshd_config.anaconda /etc/ssh/sshd_config
systemctl start sshd
HUGE WARNING this will allow anyone to ssh into your server as root with no password. So don't do it. But if you absolutely must, maybe edit /etc/ssh/sshd_config and use a different port than 22. Or maybe there is some way to set root's password in this state, but I couldn't figure out how.

Go back to your IPMI session, hit CTRL + ALT + F1 (on software keyboard) to get back to the anaconda installer tmux session. Kill it and restart it:

CTRL+b :kill-session
anaconda -G
Anaconda should now start and launch the VNC server. At this point you can connect via your VNC client on port 5901. Your VNC client should prompt you to enter your password. Do so.

If it worked, you'll see a black screen with a responsive mouse cursor. This is fine, just wait a few minutes for the graphical installer to get its self together.

Then finally. The anaconda graphical installer appears on your VNC client. You should be ok from here but since this is the network boot .iso, you'll need to do this first:

Software > Installation source button > On the network: > select "http://" and enter this URI:

mirror.centos.org/centos/8/BaseOS/x86_64/os
Then choose your Software > Software Selection and System > Installation Destination. Here's a decent write up on setting up software RAID1.

Then begin the installation. Set a root password. Aftewards, you should be able to ssh into the server.

I hope this helps somebody else. It's been a stressful 3 days.

AUism

Post by AUism » 2020/09/26 06:03:46

Thanks very much, this helped me, I wasted 12hours instead of your few days!! I was trying to install on a DL360p Gen8, and at first I thought it was because I updated the iLo firware or BIOS, but CentOS6.7 installation got to text install just fine, with CentOS 7.6 or 8.2, even text install turned into blank screen.

The boot option ip=ip::gateway:netmask:hostname:interface:none should have worked, but I guessed the interface name wrong. So I did the Ctrl-Alt-F2 thing to setup the network. But at least in the CentOS8.2 tmux env, I cannot kill anaconda using Ctrl-b, so I did a ps -ef|grep anaconda, and killed the "tmux anaconda process", and then it automatically restarted anaconda, this time VNC server started!

I then was able to proceed with installation as normal.

I have installed CentOS 7/8 over quite a lot of IPMI, frankly, installation via IPMI surely accounts for most of CentOS installations. It is apparently an upstream RHEL problem, I hope they fix this properly one day...

For others having this problem, I would suggest doing the VNC install, and use the IP line to setup the network even without a DHCP setup, which most server environments don't! Reference below:
https://docs.centos.org/en-US/centos/in ... inoptions/

Thanks again