Gnome Abrt Will Not Report Kernel Crashes

Issues related to applications and software problems
halcaldwell1

Gnome Abrt Will Not Report Kernel Crashes

Post by halcaldwell1 » 2019/11/21 22:26:36

I hope this is the right forum for this. I have searched all the Community forums and have not found a similar problem. I have had no less than three kernel crashes since updating from Centos 7.6 to 7.7 and have been updating the point releases to the most current kernel 3.10.0-1062.4.3.el7.x86_64 on my Dell Dimesion P4HT 2.8 GHz 4 GB system. The first update to 7.7 reported a tainted kernel (GOE) from various modules that I have since been able to remove and now have a "clean" kernel, so I can report these kernel crashes. The last three crashes I have experienced on this newest kernel I have not been able to use Gnome-abrt to report them. I did submit a bug report specifically on Centos Bug Tracker (0016749) but nothing back yet. The issue with Gnome-abrt is that even though it sees the crashes it says:
"--- Running analyze_VMcore ---
Looking for kernel package
Kernel package kernel-3.10.0-1062.4.3.el7.x86_64 found

--- Running report_uReport ---
Problem comes from unpackaged executable. Unable to create uReport.
('report_uReport' exited with 1)"

I reported it as a abrt bug but was told by Trevor H. that "It's not a problem in ABRT. It's just telling you that the thing it was trying
to analyse is not a packaged executable so it doesn't care."

Gnome-abrt seems to work fine so far with reporting other ccpp type crashes. There have been terminal, Firefox, and other various app crashes.

So, my question is, do I only use Centos bug tracker to report the repeated kernel crashes I have been experiencing?

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: Gnome Abrt Will Not Report Kernel Crashes

Post by TrevorH » 2019/11/22 07:42:20

I did submit a bug report specifically on Centos Bug Tracker (0016749) but nothing back yet.
You know that no-one is ever going to look at those? CentOS does no development, it only repackages what is provided by Red Hat for RHEL All fixes come from Red Hat so the only change you get of fixing things is to report them on bugzilla.redhat.com.

Your system is crashing in xfs according to that. No idea if that is because your filesystem is corrupt or because you found a bug. I'd start by booting in rescue mode and using xfs_repair to check your filesystem.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

halcaldwell1

Re: Gnome Abrt Will Not Report Kernel Crashes

Post by halcaldwell1 » 2019/11/23 00:42:18

Thank you for the information. It isn't evident from Gnome ABRT that kernel crashes shouldn't/will be ignored if reported to Centos bug tracker.

Prior to the most recent 3 crashes, a few weeks ago, a dmesg about a xfs_iread: validation failed for inode problem with my boot drive came up after a particularly nasty power brown out and total power fail at my house so I ran xfs_repair from Gnome LiveCD which seems to have cleared it up. Nothing in dmesg now anyway. However, the xfs references had been showing up in crashes before that.

I was hoping to depend on ABRT to send various reports automatically without me having to decide where they go. Do you have any idea why ABRT won't ureport a kernel crash? Should I somehow package my kernel? My Gnome ABRT app configuration was prefilled with information showing it going to Fedora FAF so I thought it should just work.

Silly me...