Suggest me some good resources to kick start Linux OS

A 5 star hangout for overworked and underpaid system admins.
amigo

Post by amigo » 2011/12/07 16:26:13

I am a windows user and now I decided to work on and explore linux.

I installed Ubuntu and CentOS using vmplayer.
Basically I am confused with various commands and folder structure in linux os.

Can anyone pls suggest me some good links to kick start Linux OS.

pschaff
Retired Moderator

Post by pschaff » 2011/12/12 20:20:24

A belated welcome to the CentOS fora. Please see the recommended reading for new users linked in my signature. That will lead you to the [url=http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=14273&forum=47]Where to Find Answers[/url] page that lists some books and other recommendations. The upstream [url=http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/5/html-single/Deployment_Guide/index.html]Deployment Guide[/url] may help with understanding the filesystem structure and many other topic specific to Enterprise Linux.

Moving your question to Social as it is not specific to any CentOS version. If you have specific questions please ask in the appropriate forum.

pjc123

Re: Suggest me some good resources to kick start Linux OS

Post by pjc123 » 2011/12/13 03:30:20

I highly recommend the "Bible" series of books written by Christopher Negus and published by Wiley, as the very first book to read, which is one of the books that pschaff mentions in the "Where to Find Answers page" section. They will answer your questions and a whole lot more. I started buying those books way back when Red Hat 9 was released, and have the most up to date version as well. They are very well written, easy to understand, and cover quite a lot of material. You may not find a book that matches the exact version of CentOS that you are running, because it may be too new, so just pick the closest "Red Hat Enterprise" book or "Fedora" version of the book and it will be close enough.

Another similarly written book I would recommend is “A Practical Guide to Fedora and Red Hat Enterprise Linux” by Mark G. Sobell published by Prentice Hall, another very good author.

DaemonProgrammr

Re: Suggest me some good resources to kick start Linux OS

Post by DaemonProgrammr » 2011/12/19 09:21:18

Filestructure is something to get used to, but once you get the hang of it, it'll turn out to be quite intuitive. :-)

As for commands: see also the man-pages.
These, you commonly access by typing on the commandline:

man 'some-command'

for example:
man ls

You exit these screens with 'q'.

Depending on the command, these are usually quite comprehensive descriptions of the function, capabilities and sometimes examples.