[RESOLVED] dual boot machine, windows broke

A 5 star hangout for overworked and underpaid system admins.
hoodcanaljim

Post by hoodcanaljim » 2011/12/30 04:42:56

Hi

I maybe asking this question in the wrong enviornment. But here goes.

computer is a dual boot ibm clone with 2 hard drives, c: on the first and f: and g: on the second.
affected hard drive is a Seagate Ultra Barracude 80gib.

Short version:
Windows wouldn't boot, several checks later it still wont. But CentOS 5.7 w/ latest updates Does. I have mounted the window partion (hda1) and have access to
the files.

Long version:
After returned from a month long trip and starting up the computer. After much time, and on a black screen, it said \system32\ntoskrnl.exe not found. So following several posts in forums I booted from the Windows SetUp Disk and using Recover mode I found the drive number (letters) were all wrong. I disconnected the second drive and ran SetUp again. In recovery mode I ran chkdsk /r /p and got the following.
[code]
chkdsk /r /p
chkdsk is checking the volume
chkdsk is preforming additional checks or recovery
50%
the volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable errors
[/code]
I down loaded Seagate's Dos Tools and checked the drive. The short test ended with the sugestion that I run the long test, it showed multiple errors and I selected repair them.
Now it will boot up to a bar across the screen with only the first section solid and eventially the message.
[code]
windows could not start because the following file is missing or could not be found
system32\drivers\isapnp.sys

you can attemp to repair this file by starting Windows SetUp CD and selecting "r" ....etc
[/code]

Now if I boot using the SetUp CD I get this message when trying to do a directory listing.
[code]
C:> dir
Directory of C:
An error occured during directory enumeration
[/code]

So thats were I find myself.

The Questions:
Is it possible to repair the window installation thru linux ??
Is the hard drive toast??
What are my options???

Thanks for looking
Jim

DaemonProgrammr

Re: dual boot machine, windows broke

Post by DaemonProgrammr » 2011/12/30 10:41:48

If I were you, I'd just rescue any and all documents from the broken disk and replace it.

Sounds like there's broken sectors on the disk. 'Fixing them' usually means that there's a work-around set into place on the disk's surface, but that's a duct-tape fix.
Usually, these damages just expand after a while.

Backup what you can and replace the hardware.

hoodcanaljim

Post by hoodcanaljim » 2011/12/30 16:15:39

DaemonProgrammr

I copied the missing file isapnp.sys to the system32\drivers directory and now it will continue the boot sequence to the point were it displays the windows splash screen, then its the BSOD. The only message is to try running Rescue Mode and chkdsk /F
There doesn't seem to be a option /F for chkdsk so that didn't help.

STOP: 0x0000007B is displayed.

I have a external hard drive I can copy all the accessable date from the windows directory to. And will start that going and then drive into town and buy a new hard drive.

Could I use a hard disk utility and clone the bad disk to the new drive then try to repairing the windows system files.???

Should I run tar to copy the files or just copy them??

Thanks
Jim

added at 8:51

I ran the following
[code]
etc]# find /media/windows -iname boot.ini -print
find: /media/windows/Documents and Settings/Administrator/Start Menu/Programs/Accessories: Input/output error
find: /media/windows/Documents and Settings/All Users/Application Data/Apple/Installer Cache/Apple Mobile Device Support 2.6.0.32: Input/output error
find: /media/windows/Documents and Settings/All Users/Start Menu/Programs/OpenOffice.org 3.2: Input/output error
find: /media/windows/Documents and Settings/All Users/Start Menu/Programs/Quicken: Input/output error
find: /media/windows/Documents and Settings/All Users/Start Menu/Programs/iTunes: Input/output error
find: /media/windows/Documents and Settings/jamby/Local Settings: Input/output error
find: /media/windows/Program Files/Google/Google SketchUp 7/Resources/en-US/helpcontent/tool/21126/images: Input/output error
find: warning: not following the symbolic link /media/windows/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_32/System.EnterpriseServices/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a
find: warning: not following the symbolic link /media/windows/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/IEExecRemote/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a
find: /media/windows/WINDOWS/bootstat.dat: Input/output error
find: /media/windows/WINDOWS/$NtUninstallKB971961$: Input/output error
/media/windows/boot.ini
[/code]

most notable bootstat.dat looks to have i/o errors
I may try replacing that file.

Jim

TrevorH
Site Admin

Post by TrevorH » 2011/12/30 16:42:10

[quote]
STOP: 0x0000007B is displayed.
[/quote]

Wildly off-topic and I can see this thread heading for Social anytime now but... stop 7B is "inaccessible boot device" - you might want to check that your BIOS hasn't been reset or otherwise changed to use AHCI mode instead of legacy or vice versa. If you install in AHCI mode then turn it off in the BIOS it will lead to a stop 7B (or if you turn it on after installing without).

hoodcanaljim

Post by hoodcanaljim » 2011/12/30 19:12:30

TrevorH

Thanks for the response. I believe the problem lies in the boot sectors of windows on the hard drive. Bios is working well with the hard drive when booted into centos 5.7
I am now copying all the data that can be read to the external hard drive. I am afraid there is nothing that can be done except to install a new hard drive and reinstall all the programs and copy back all the data files.

Jim

TrevorH
Site Admin

Post by TrevorH » 2011/12/30 20:29:39

The point is that you need a different driver for AHCI mode than for legacy mode. If you installed Windows with one active and then switch to the other, it doesn't have the right driver installed and you end up with a stop 7B. If your CMOS battery had run down then it might have reset all the BIOS settings to defaults including the AHCI mode to the option that was not used when Windows was installed and then it won't boot.

AlanBartlett
Forum Moderator

Post by AlanBartlett » 2011/12/31 00:26:42

As there is nothing in this thread that relates to [i]CentOS[/i], it has been moved to social. ;-)

When it comes to that [i]Redmond OS[/i] --

[img]http://www.centos.toracat.org/ajb/tmp/damn.gif[/img]

[img]http://www.centos.toracat.org/ajb/tmp/comp1a.gif[/img]

hoodcanaljim

Post by hoodcanaljim » 2011/12/31 01:15:25

TrevorH

I looked up AHCI and I believe mine is set the same as before ( enhanced ) on all ide devices.

Hope thats what you ment

Thanks
Jim

hoodcanaljim

Re: [RESOLVED] dual boot machine, windows broke

Post by hoodcanaljim » 2012/01/01 16:01:57

For those who might care

I was able to copy all the files from the mounted ntfs (with ntfs-3g) system to the external hard drive. I bought a new hard drive and reinstalled window xp and reloaded the sp2 sp3 updates and am now trying to reinstall the programs, gimp, thunderbird, firefox, rhino and many others. The files for these programs still exist on the external drive and as I have time I will copy them back to the new drive.

Not a disaster but a pain. One anyone that uses windoze knows to well.

Jim