Samba Problem

Issues related to configuring your network
ally_uk

Samba Problem

Post by ally_uk » 2012/06/08 15:24:28

Hi guys I am new to CentOs I am having difficulty in getting a simple Samba share working in Windows XP,

[Global]

Workgroup = Dragon
Netbios name = Izuna
security = Share

[Random Stuff]

comment = for testing only
path = /files
read only = no
available = yes
guest ok = yes
locking = no

I have opened the Samba ports in Centos and have disabled the Windows firewall, I am able to access the random stuff share from the windows box but am unable to create or access any of the folders. Go easy on me please I am a noob :)

pschaff
Retired Moderator

Samba Problem

Post by pschaff » 2012/06/09 18:18:02

Welcome to the CentOS fora. Please see the recommended reading for new users linked in my signature.

Why did you change security from [b]user[/b] to [b]share[/b] (not recommended - see the comments in the original smb.conf), and remove the default "passdb backend = tdbsam" authentication? Any remaining issues may be due to file ownership and/or SELinux, but you have provided no information on those.

ally_uk

Re: Samba Problem

Post by ally_uk » 2012/06/10 23:24:10

Hey thanks for the heads up, I am really new to Linux and Samba, I was reading numerous guides I don't really know much about how the configuration is laid out and what the settings do, I will read the resources in your sig and will try and locate some noob freindly Samba tutorials, I Orignally came from the Windows World but have made the change to Linux I find the whole Open Source ethos more exciting and interesting and if I am honest WIndows just bores me.

Do you have any good reccomendations for Centos / Redhat guides, I am pretty comfortable with the command line and don't mind getting my hands dirty and I am very passionate and keen to learn :-)

Many Thanks and hopefully I will be able to get a share up and running this year lol

pschaff
Retired Moderator

Re: Samba Problem

Post by pschaff » 2012/06/11 16:57:00

I've been using Red Hat family products so long I have not personally looked at any of the guides, so no recommendations other than what you can find in the recommended reading.

For Samba - I'd fall back to the default configuration, test, then make incremental changes, followed by more tests, etc.

If more help is needed after reading up please provide more details.