When will CentOS 6 be out?

Announcements and news related to CentOS (viewing only).
toracat
Site Admin

When will CentOS 6 be out?

Post by toracat » 2010/04/21 14:50:33

RHEL 6 beta was released today. Just starting this forum thread but we have no news from the CentOS developers regarding the CentOS 6 beta.

toracat
Site Admin

Re: When will CentOS 6 be out?

Post by toracat » 2010/04/22 07:34:16

The "official" words about CentOS beta ... Karanbir Singh's article on Planet CentOS

[quote]
The first thing that everyone will want to know is : when will centos-6-beta come out. Well, it wont be for a while. The reason is - this is a public beta, you can get it directly from Red Hat, and we want you to do that. Beta test the Red Hat builds, report issues and bugs at http://bugzilla.redhat.com/ and make sure you follow their rhel-6-beta list. And do this because, we all want a better upstream product.

So where does this leave CentOS and CentOS-6-beta ? We will setup a build process for CentOS-6-Beta, and we will go through the process of putting out a new release, across a restricted number of machines so that people can also test our builds, however we want the focus of this testing around CentOS-6-beta to be the packages we need to change, modify and adapt for CentOS. The core packages and testing should still be focused on RHEL-6, since a better upstream product helps all of us, and a large number of issues reported against CentOS-6-beta will almost certainly be pushed upstream.

- KB
[/quote]
There will not be CentOS-6-beta based on the current (beta1) version.

toracat
Site Admin

Post by toracat » 2010/06/30 14:49:40

RHEL 6 beta2 was announced today.

http://www.redhat.com/rhel/beta/

It is publicly available.

AlanBartlett
Forum Moderator

Post by AlanBartlett » 2010/11/10 23:52:56

As we are all aware, [b]RHEL 6[/b] was released today (Wednesday 10th November, 2010).

Here is a snippet from the #centos-devel IRC channel, earlier today --

[quote]
and since this is a major release, remember that there will
be a centos6-beta release first
[/quote]
Please do not pester the [i]CentOS[/i] developers with queries regarding the beta release. Details will be made available at the appropriate time.

AlanBartlett
Forum Moderator

Post by AlanBartlett » 2011/01/14 17:18:22

For those persons who are not subscribers to the [url=http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-devel]CentOS-devel[/url] mailing list, reproduced below is a [url=http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-devel/2011-January/006516.html]recent posting[/url] to that list by [b]Karanbir Singh[/b] --

[quote]
I am sure lots of people want to know - so here is a quick status update
about 6.0 build.

Over the next 2 days, we are going to clear out all patches and ensure
all patched packages build and link correctly. That would then complete
the package 'tree'. As soon as that is done ( good place to check is
look at the AuditStatus page in the wiki, but I am hopeful we can get
this done for Monday the 17th close of play ). The only major time
consuming process is getting the anaconda patches in, including the
language and url remapping stuff; most of the rest should be fairly
quick working through if its a few people working on it.

The actual distro build process has already been tested, although with a
smaller and incomplete tree. With the complete tree in place, we can
then get the package policy in place ( as in what rpm makes it to which
media disk etc ), and fire up a distro build.

What happens at this point is that the QA team get access to the output
from the distro-build process; and they need to go through the motions
of making sure its-all-good. This is also the stage where the release
notes get setup, and the translation teams goto work on their stuff.

A thumbs up from the QA team means the content is then passed onto the
infra team and we move to release.
[/quote]

AlanBartlett
Forum Moderator

Post by AlanBartlett » 2011/02/20 01:27:23

I begin this announcement with my personal apology to all who are reading this. A while ago, I had a short conversation with [b]Karanbir[/b] [[b]Singh[/b]] with regards to the current status of the CentOS 5.6 build. He provided me with some information in relation to both the C-5.6 & C-6.0 build processes and asked me to write it up for public consumption via the Announcement forum. Due to various personal issues, coupled with the need to replace the main disk drive in my usual (desktop) workstation, the posts to the Announcement forum slid down the ToDo list. I aim to rectify that now.

In the (boxed) text that follows, [b]KB[/b]'s words appear in [i]italics[/i]. My linking works are bracketed in the normal font: [thus].

[code]
[Although the CentOS 5.6 build is taking priority, CentOS] [i]6.0 is slowly moving along.
Many people consider it[/i] [to be] [i]paused[/i] [but] [i]it's not. It's not moving[/i] [at] [i]full steam[/i]
[ahead] [i]but ticking along nicely.[/i] [It may be available to the QA team] [i]within three weeks[/i]
[but] [i]as you know, slippage can happen at any stage. So we try not to commit to a schedule[/i]
[because people will undoubtedly plan around it. The time-frame for CentOS] [i]6.0 might
slip with even minor issues.[/i]

[In conclusion, I would not expect to see CentOS 6.0 released until late March or early April.
So the advice is not to formulate plans based on my guestimate but, instead, hope for the
best whilst being prepared for the worst.]
[/code]

AlanBartlett
Forum Moderator

Post by AlanBartlett » 2011/02/23 02:12:14

Yesterday (Tuesday February 22, 2011), I received a status update from [b]Karanbir[/b] regarding the progress of [i]CentOS 6.0[/i] and he has asked me to post it to this thread.

[quote]
[b][i]6.0: Due to time issues, I'm not updating the Audit Status page [1] at the
moment. However there has been movement on the [/i]CentOS 6[i] build-front.
I think I'll leave updating that page until 4.9 and 5.6 are out of the door.[/i][/b]
[/quote]
---------------------------------------------

[1] http://wiki.centos.org/QaWiki/6/AuditStatus

AlanBartlett
Forum Moderator

Post by AlanBartlett » 2011/04/14 19:17:02

My current understanding is that the ongoing build of [i]CentOS 6.0[/i] is still running in minimal mode. I expect it to pick up speed once all the current [i]CentOS 5.6[/i] updates have been built and pushed to the update queue.

I will be discussing the 6.0 build status with [b]Karanbir[/b] in the next few days and hopefully will have something a little less tenuous to report early-ish next week.

I think it is fair to say that as [i]CentOS 6.0[/i] is a new entry into the product line, it may spend somewhat more time in QA whilst the critical eyes give it close scrutiny.

AlanBartlett
Forum Moderator

Post by AlanBartlett » 2011/04/28 16:08:11

I begin with another personal apology for my delay in posting here. Let me just say that I have lost 36 hours as a result of a health issue.

- - - - - - -

Some of you will know that there has been a [i]CentOS[/i] developer's meeting and one topic on the list was the [i]CentOS 6[/i] build. Quite obviously, I was not part of that meeting nor am I privy to the outcome of any discussions.

What I can tell you, as a result of my recent communication with [b]Karanbir[/b], is that the last few packages are now being worked on and it is hoped that [i]both[/i] trees (32- and 64-bit) will be with the QA team by about 10th May. Please remember, any date mentioned is just an estimate and is not set in stone.

This is, so I am led to believe, a new approach. In the past, the 32-bit tree was built and was then given to QA. Corrections were made, as appropriate, and the loop re-iterated. Once the 32-bit tree was declared satisfactory, the 64-bit tree was fairly quickly built with the knowledge so gained. The 64-bit tree then went into QA and it too was verified, rebuilt, etc.

It can be said that this newer procedure will concentrate the work for QA into a shorter period of time. However the observant of you will recall that there was a request for kickstart files, so as to be able to automate some of the testing / verifying process that is currently undertaken as a manual process. This automation will hopefully reduce the pressure come future updates.

AlanBartlett
Forum Moderator

Post by AlanBartlett » 2011/05/03 17:18:37

Here is a little bit of information that arises from my latest communication with [b]Karanbir[/b] . . .

Out of all the packages in both the 32- & 64-bit trees, currently 36 are still being worked upon. Please remember, that number could temporarily go up before it comes down again. Why do those packages require slow, methodical work? To bring them as close as possible to being binary compatible with [url=http://wiki.centos.org/FAQ/General?highlight=%28TUV%29#head-d29a2b7e61ffc544973098f9dd49fe4663efba50]TUV[/url]'s product, [i]RHEL 6.0[/i].

At present, there is nothing to suggest that both trees will not be with the QA team by the proposed date.