Creating Database Problem

General support questions including new installations
Centox

Post by Centox » 2009/03/08 05:50:12

Hi

I have installed in my Server Centos 5.2 postgresql and postgresql-server, but I have a problem when I want to create a database, this is the command I use:

su - postgres

But I dont get the user postgres loged in this is what I get:

-bash-3.2.$

The problem comes when I want to create the database with command: createdb "database name"

This is the output I get:

createdb: could not connect to database postgres: FATAL: missing or erroneous pg_hba.conf file

I am pretty new to Linux and working hard to get used to it, Now the question I have is should I have created the user " postgres " or this user is created

automatically when you install postgresql and postgresql-server ? I am a little confused now and really dont know what to do next in order to have this fix and

create the database I need, hope someone can help me out, thank you guys. :-(

pschaff
Retired Moderator

Re: Creating Database Problem

Post by pschaff » 2009/03/09 20:44:37

I'm not a database guy so no direct suggestions; however, if help is not forthcoming here you might try posting to the centos-users list

http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos

Have seen quite a lot of postgresql threads there.

michaelnel

Post by michaelnel » 2009/03/09 21:57:43

Just so we don't overlook the glaringly obvious.... does the configuration file pg_hba.conf exist? If not, how about creating one? Is the postgresql server running?

Have you read any of the postgresql documentation?

Centox

Re: Creating Database Problem

Post by Centox » 2009/03/10 05:59:54

HI Guys

I have solved the problem, pschaff thank you for your sugestion, I checked there but could not find the solution,

michaelnel

does the configuration file pg_hba.conf exist?

Is the postgresql server running?

Have you read any of the postgresql documentation?

michaelnel

Yes the pg_hba.conf exists, Yes the postgresql server running, Oh you beat I have read lots and lots of postgresql documentation, this finally got solved:

The bash config files got corrupted so I fixed them by copying the default over.

There were 2 bad entries in the /var/lib/pgsql/data/pg_hba.conf file. I commented them.

And that solved the problem, thank you guys for your help.