[SOLVED] Kdump error during post installation configuration

General support questions
kuze

Post by kuze » 2011/08/17 10:56:43

Hello all,

After successfully installing Centos 6, i rebooted my PC. But, during the post-install configuration, the last item i.e, Kdump failed. I got message - insufficient memory.
And it showed me the Kdump config window with all options disabled, and nothing was happening. So, i forced rebooted my PC. Now, i directly got the login prompt & am posting this message from the newly installed Centos.

Will i have any problem due to the erroneus Kdump post-install configuration?

(I have 1.2 GB Ram & after installation i have 10 GB free partition space)

Thanks!

pschaff
Retired Moderator

Post by pschaff » 2011/08/17 13:18:10

Welcome to the CentOS fora. Please see the recommended reading for new users linked in my signature.

The kdump failure is known and is more of a cosmetic issue than a real problem, as explained in the [url=http://wiki.centos.org/Manuals/ReleaseNotes/CentOS6.0#head-710e17fe8ed8c98a1fe4faee4e11e2135df09fff]Release Notes section 4[/url]. Forcing a reboot is [b]always[/b] a bad idea unless there is no alternative, and I don't know what installation steps you may have skipped by doing so, but if things seem to be working correctly you are probably OK.

kuze

Re: Kdump error during post installation configuration

Post by kuze » 2011/08/17 17:57:16

c'mon dont make me feel more bad. i knew it was bad idea, but nothing was working. It got hanged. I tried Cltrl_Alt_F1, still nothing. Had to do that.

Well, so far things are running fine.

The release note asks to update kexec-tools to kexec-tools-2_0_0-153_el6 or newer
When i try,
yum install kexec-tools
I get
Package kexec-tools-2.0.0-145.el6.i686 already installed and latest version

When i try
yum update kexec-tools
I get
No Packages marked for Update

pschaff
Retired Moderator

Post by pschaff » 2011/08/18 15:16:21

[quote]
kuze wrote:
c'mon dont make me feel more bad. i knew it was bad idea, but nothing was working. It got hanged. I tried Cltrl_Alt_F1, still nothing. Had to do that.[/quote]
Then you had some problem other than the kdump error, which does not cause a hang.

[quote]
When i try
yum update kexec-tools
I get
No Packages marked for Update[/quote]
That is correct. No update has been released for CentOS-6. 6.1 will have kexec-tools-2.0.0-188.el6. Added a clarification to the release notes.

kuze

Post by kuze » 2011/08/18 15:36:01

ok. But, my basic query still remains. How do i check if i will not have any problem due to interrupted post-install config. In the post-install config dialog, the kdump config was last one as i remember, i dont know what should have happened after that.
Like there are disk check utility before installation. Is there any way to check whether my installation & all configs are proper. Or will i have to just wait and watch for something to go wrong?

AlanBartlett
Forum Moderator

Post by AlanBartlett » 2011/08/18 23:43:07

Here is something you can try. It is an old technique but I see the responsible code is still available for [i]RHEL 6.x[/i], so it should work for [i]CentOS 6.0[/i]. Please assume [i]root[/i] powers, then --

[code]
[b]touch /.unconfigured
shutdown -r now[/b]
[/code]

kuze

Post by kuze » 2011/08/19 09:39:53

[quote]
AlanBartlett wrote:
Here is something you can try. It is an old technique but I see the responsible code is still available for [i]RHEL 6.x[/i], so it should work for [i]CentOS 6.0[/i]. Please assume [i]root[/i] powers, then --

[code]
[b]touch /.unconfigured
shutdown -r now[/b]
[/code][/quote]

Hi,

I tried out those commands.

After boot, it performed text-based configuration.
*Keyboard
*root password
Then it asked to choose from device config or DNS.., i chose device config

It then displayed two column list, with screen title being "Authentication configuration. "
Left column was titled 'user input': it had few entries, but none were selected. I left it as that
Right column was titled 'Authentication' : Out of the list, 'Use Shadow Password', 'Use Fingerprint reader', 'Local authorization is sufficient' were already selected. I removed the fingerprint one

Next page was for 'which services to be auto started on boot'. Many were listed, and some were already selected. I removed 'bluetooth'.

After that i got the normal GUI login prompt.

Dont know if this is what was supposed to happen behind the gui-based post-install config that had been interuppted.
Also, there was no kdump config as was in the post-install config.

I am not keen on having the kdump configured. But, i would like to rectify anything if at all, so things like [url=https://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=32836&forum=57]no audio[/url] do not creep up.

AlanBartlett
Forum Moderator

Post by AlanBartlett » 2011/08/19 15:48:55

[quote]
After that i got the normal GUI login prompt.
[/quote]
That's good.

[quote]
Dont know if this is what was supposed to happen behind the gui-based post-install config that had been interuppted.
[/quote]
Yes.

[quote]
I am not keen on having the kdump configured.
[/quote]
With [i]root[/i]'s powers, edit your [b]/etc/grub.conf[/b] file and change the existing parameter on each "kernel" line, [b]crashkernel=[i]somevalue@something[/i][/b], to be [b]crashkernel=no[/b]. Once that is done, a crash kernel is then not configured.

kuze

Post by kuze » 2011/08/19 16:04:48

Thank-you for helping me resolve the interrupted configuration.

I have changed the crashkernel=auto option to crashkernel=no.

Can you please help me out in fixing my [url=https://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=32836&forum=57]no audio[/url] problem.

AlanBartlett
Forum Moderator

Re: [SOLVED] Kdump error during post installation configuration

Post by AlanBartlett » 2011/08/19 16:21:24

[quote]
Thank-you for helping me resolve the interrupted configuration.

I have changed the crashkernel=auto option to crashkernel=no.
[/quote]
Excellent news. So on your behalf, and for posterity, this thread is now marked [SOLVED].

[quote]
Can you please help me out in fixing my [url=https://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=32836&forum=57]no audio[/url] problem.
[/quote]
I have read your other thread but I do not have any suggestion. Sorry.

Perhaps someone else may have an idea for what you can try.