Can install as a 2nd os? e.g. first is a windows

General support questions including new installations
JesusAngeles

Can install as a 2nd os? e.g. first is a windows

Post by JesusAngeles » 2011/05/25 12:41:50

Hi,

Can i install this as a second os, or only on a fresh system?

gerald_clark

Re: Can install as a 2nd os? e.g. first is a windows

Post by gerald_clark » 2011/05/25 13:28:08

Welcome to CentOS.
New users need to read
http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewforum.php?forum=47
Please read the deployment guide/
http://www.centos.org/docs/5/html/5.2/Deployment_Guide/

Yes, CentOS can be a second OS in a dual boot.
You wil need unallocated disk space though.

pschaff
Retired Moderator

Post by pschaff » 2011/05/25 14:26:51

Expanding on [b]Gerald[/b]'s correct reply, due to intellectual property issues CentOS does not provide tools to manipulate NTFS filesystems. If you do not have available unpartitioned space then you can use a [url=http://www.google.com/search?q=LiveCD+NTFS+shrink&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&safe=active]Linux LiveCD[/url] that does provide such tools to shrink Windows partition[s] to free space for a CentOS install. Depending on the intended purpose for the system, and how many packages or groups you want to install, a minimum of 10 to 20 GB would be recommended - more is better to avoid a squeeze in the future.

imbrognolouis

Post by imbrognolouis » 2011/07/28 15:00:58

I know this is an old thread but i have a question regarding the topic.

I had windows 7 ultimate loaded intially and wanted to load centos 6 as a dual boot option. I've dual booted many linux variants without any issue. But for some reason when i go to install centos 6 it tells me it cant install it it must reinitialize my drive. when it does this it formats the whole drive and wipes out windows. If i hit the ignore option it doesnt go any father and will not let me continue until i hit reinitialize. How do i get around this? I thought maybe its because i had a few partitions so i deleted all the partions and made all the space unallocated. then created my one 250g partition for windows 7 and installed it.
When installing centos 6 i recieve the same initializing issue once again. I usaully go this route dual booting linux so i can install it second, then insert the win 7 cd and run a repair which fixes the windows boot loader. once i'm up in windows i run easybcd to load linux distro as a boot up option. I am pretty unfamiliar with grub and this saves me alot of hassle. Any assistance would be appreciated.

pschaff
Retired Moderator

Post by pschaff » 2011/07/28 15:33:13

Welcome to the CentOS fora. Please see the recommended reading for new users linked in my signature.

After reading the above you should realize why you should not hijack threads as you have done. Please start a new Topic for your issue to get the attention you need, providing a link to this one if required for context.