[RESOLVED] Automount Messages and Possible Samba mount failure

General support questions including new installations
dunwell

[RESOLVED] Automount Messages and Possible Samba mount failure

Post by dunwell » 2012/02/09 16:53:05

(output from getinfo.sh attached)
[Disclaimer: I am sysadmin for this linux box but I am hardly a guru. Please err on the side of more verbosity with any comments/suggestions/advice.]

Recently I have been seeing in my logwatch file the following

[code] --------------------- Automount Begin ------------------------
**Unmatched Entries** key "*" not found in map source(s).: 2 Time(s)
create_udp_client:101: hostname lookup failed: Unknown host: 1 Time(s)
lookup_mount: exports lookup failed for *: 1 Time(s)
create_tcp_client:341: hostname lookup failed: Unknown host: 1 Time(s)
---------------------- Automount End ------------------------- [/code]

After searching the knowledgebase and extensive googling, etc, I have been unable to determine what is causing this.

When I look in /var/log/messages I see some matching lines there

[code]
Feb 9 04:09:37 localhost automount[2446]: key "*" not found in map source(s).
Feb 9 04:09:53 localhost automount[2446]: create_udp_client:101: hostname lookup failed: Unknown host
Feb 9 04:09:58 localhost automount[2446]: create_tcp_client:341: hostname lookup failed: Unknown host
Feb 9 04:09:58 localhost automount[2446]: lookup_mount: exports lookup failed for *
Feb 9 04:09:58 localhost automount[2446]: key "*" not found in map source(s).
[/code]

Noting the time, it matches exactly with my failing backups from my Windows7 machine. That machine runs Genie9 Backup Manager and places the backup files onto a Samba drive on this linux box via a Win7 Mapped Drive. The backups fail saying that the mapped drive does not exist. However from the general Win7 interface I have the drive mapped and can access the data there without problems. It is only the backup program that fails to find the drive.

To add to the mess, another anomaly that seems to be happening, and may or may not be related, is that when I ssh to this linux machine it takes exactly 1.5 minutes to make the login connection. I can find no messages in any of the logs related to this. So it might be possible that the backup program is trying to log onto the linux box since it requires name/password in it's interface for same and failing because of the long login time.

I am open to all suggestions as to where to look or how to correct this/these problems.

Alan D

gerald_clark

[RESOLVED] Automount Messages and Possible Samba mount failu

Post by gerald_clark » 2012/02/09 16:56:05

Sounds like you have broken dns / rdns.

dunwell

Re: Automount Messages and Possible Samba mount failure

Post by dunwell » 2012/02/09 17:02:28

[quote]
gerald_clark wrote:
Sounds like you have broken dns / rdns.[/quote]

Please expand on that a bit. Both the linux server and the win7 machine are on an internal net in 192.168. type IPs. I wouldn't think that the domain naming would come into play. The linux server is not running as a DNS host but gets that from our ISP. Maybe I'm not understanding what you are saying, more detail please.

Thanks,
Alan D.

dunwell

Post by dunwell » 2012/02/11 16:41:28

BUMP.

Alan D

pschaff
Retired Moderator

Post by pschaff » 2012/02/12 15:02:56

Please review [url=http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=28726&forum=54]Readme First[/url] on the guidelines for how to bump a thread.

The delays you describe and the host lookup errors are both typical of problems with DNS. As you have provided no [url=http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=28723&forum=54]more information about your system[/url], nor anything from the Samba logs, it is very difficult for anyone here to make a good guess as to the source of the problem. Presumably your ISP does not do DNS for your LAN, so how are 192.168.x.y addresses mapped to hostnames?

dunwell

Post by dunwell » 2012/02/12 19:04:13

Sorry about the protocol errors. I tried to be very detailed in the first message and didn't understand the reply. I did note early on that I'm not a guru and and appreciate more explicit/verbose suggestions. Unfortunately, just saying it is a DNS problems doesn't mean much to me, I'm still at a bit of a loss as to what file/logs to look into.

Early on I did look in the Samba log but saw nothing amiss, so I did not include anything from there. Then again I may just not be seeing something that is wrong, I didn't see any Error or Warning or Failed type messages.

The structure on my LAN is that the linux box and Win7 box live behind a linsys router which provides the 192 level internal addresses. The router itself has my fixed IP address and talks to the ISP. In the router the DNS settings are
DNS1 8.8.8.8 the Google DNS, This at the suggestion of our ISP network guy
DNS2 to an IP in our ISP system
The ISP is actually a CoOp Wireless Internet system, I'm in the mountains so that is the only way we get connectivity. (http://mric.net/)

I have in fact not tried anything further because I'm at a loss as to what to do next. I suppose that most folks here are very knowledgeable but I just don't yet have that level of experience in troubleshooting. Thus my request for more details in regard to DNS. If this forum is the incorrect place for less experienced folks I'd appreciate any suggestions as to other sites or fora.

Thanks,
Alan D.

pschaff
Retired Moderator

Post by pschaff » 2012/02/12 22:37:07

Does your Linksys (?) router provide DHCP and DNS for the LAN and are you making use of local hostnames? One thing that can cause delays is having IPv6 enabled when your router can't handle it. See [url=http://wiki.centos.org/FAQ/CentOS5#head-47912ebdae3b5ac10ff76053ef057c366b421dc4]CentOS-5 FAQ #9. How do I disable IPv6?[/url]

It would still be good to see the requested [url=http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=28723&forum=54]information about your system[/url] that can be provided by running "./getinfo.sh network" and showing us the output file.

dunwell

Post by dunwell » 2012/02/13 15:05:12

[quote]
pschaff wrote:
Does your Linksys (?) router provide DHCP and DNS for the LAN and are you making use of local hostnames? One thing that can cause delays is having IPv6 enabled when your router can't handle it. See [url=http://wiki.centos.org/FAQ/CentOS5#head-47912ebdae3b5ac10ff76053ef057c366b421dc4]CentOS-5 FAQ #9. How do I disable IPv6?[/url]

It would still be good to see the requested [url=http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=28723&forum=54]information about your system[/url] that can be provided by running "./getinfo.sh network" and showing us the output file.[/quote]

Howdy Phil, thanks for the follow up.
I can only access the router interface from the 192. subnet inside so I'll have to wait till this evening to look to see if it is doing DHCP. But yes, the machines behind the router are using local hostnames. The access to the Linux box by my dunwell guitar naming from the outside world is handled by the DMZ setting in the router. All info for those names are passed through to the Linux box.

Hmm, for some reason the .ziped version of the system info that I thought I'd added as a file in the first message looks like it did not upload. I'm not sure why. I'll try to add the "./getinfo.sh network" log to this message and I will also post it to
[url=http://dunwellguitar.com/blind/4CentOS/]Dunwell Guitar Blind[/url]
{I got a quick Error screen about the upload. Not sure why, look at the link above for the log file.}

I did disable the IPV6 following the first suggestion of editing /etc/sysconfig/network and /etc/modprob.conf. In the later there was no line
[code] alias ipv6 off[/code]
but I added in the line
[code] options ipv6 disabled=1[/code]

I was not sure if just doing a restart on network was all that was needed so I did a complete restart on the machine. After that the login was faster, only about 35 seconds rather than the minute and a half.

Take a look at the ./getinfo listing and let me know if you see anything that looks amiss. This log was from BEFORE I modified the IPV6. Again, I look over this but don't have the experience to know what I'm seeing. So any help appreciated! thanks.

Please advise,
Alan D.

pschaff
Retired Moderator

Post by pschaff » 2012/02/13 15:30:06

The forum attachment function is permanently broken as explained in [url=http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=28726&forum=54]Readme First[/url] section 11.

The script output does not show your local router being used for DNS. It appears to have only the ISP's name servers.

dunwell

Post by dunwell » 2012/02/13 16:05:22

Right on the DNS at the router, see my earlier on the settings there. The sysadmin for our network told me to use the 8.8.8.8 Google DNS as my primary DNS1, are there any know issues with this? I'm thinking that these error messages are ~concurrent (about three weeks ago) with an IP address change and switch to this DNS setting.

I know I read through all the Readme First and FAQ docs, but it seems that the info didn't stick too well in my brain. I missed the part in the doc about providing system info about the attach being broken.

I'll have to wait till tonight to check on the DHCP in the router.
Alan D.