SVN and postgresql incompatibility?

General support questions including new installations

Postby pkiula » 2009/07/30 14:03:41

We installed Postgresql 8.3.7 on a new server. But big problem. When I start SVN on this machine (which we need!) I see this error:

-----
svn: error while loading shared libraries: libpq.so.4: cannot open
shared object file: No such file or directory
-----

I am unable to install the library "libpq.so.4" due to dependency errors.

Upon some digging, it seems this is because the PostgreSQL has
something to do with this, as the libraries "libpq.so.5" and
"libpq.so.5.1" are already present in the server. This is the reason
why we are unable to install the library "libpq.so.4".

-----
[snoff] ~ > rpm -ql postgresql-libs-8.3.7-1PGDG.rhel5 | grep libpq.so
/usr/lib64/libpq.so.5
/usr/lib64/libpq.so.5.1
-----

My question: how can I use PostgreSQL 8.3 and SVN on the same server?
Has someone figured out how to fix this situation? I'm on CentOS 5 x64
bit.

Thanks!
pkiula

Postby gerald_clark » 2009/07/30 14:57:24

CentOS ships with Postgresql 8.1.11.
Unless you have a very good reason to change, and know exactly what you are doing,
you should stick with that.
gerald_clark

Re: SVN and postgresql incompatibility?

Postby cbbrowne » 2009/07/30 15:39:13

gerald_clark wrote:
CentOS ships with Postgresql 8.1.11.
Unless you have a very good reason to change, and know exactly what you are doing,
you should stick with that.

CentOS ships with a major version of PostgreSQL that was obsolesced almost 3 years ago.

The present major version is 8.4, and version 8.3 has been a "production release" for about a year and a half, now.

Unless you have a very good reason NOT to, there are dramatic differences between the 2006 version and what is available now, and users would shortchange themselves by NOT using a more modern version.

Supposing the CentOS folks aren't up to generating a suitable build, it is certainly plausible to configure and build your own installation from source, and run that in lieu of the packaged versions that apparently are too much trouble to generate.

I run Debian on most of my systems, and it has no difficulty having *concurrent installations* of multiple major versions of PostgreSQL, so I know that this form of interoperability can be done in a "production-worthy" fashion.

Perhaps someone should look into how Debian is doing their package management for PostgreSQL to see if that could be adapted to Centos...
cbbrowne

Postby gerald_clark » 2009/07/30 17:09:16

Perhaps you should do the required reading to find out what CentOS is.
http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/vie ... p?forum=47

There may be some repositories that contain newer versions, but then it won't be EL5 will it?
Check the repositories listed in the link above. They may have what you are looking for.
gerald_clark

Postby Oldiesmann » 2009/08/11 16:44:01

If you insist on only providing the 8.1.x builds in the official repository, could you at least keep it up to date? 8.1.17 was released nearly 5 months ago (March 16th), yet the official RPM is still at 8.1.11...
Oldiesmann

Postby Oldiesmann » 2009/09/16 18:38:44

Seeing as to how PostgreSQL 8.1.18 was released last week, I guess it's time to just manually upgrade PostgreSQL myself since you guys apparently don't care...
Oldiesmann

Postby AlanBartlett » 2009/09/17 14:58:10

If you insist on only providing the 8.1.x builds in the official repository, could you at least keep it up to date? 8.1.17 was released nearly 5 months ago (March 16th), yet the official RPM is still at 8.1.11...

Seeing as to how PostgreSQL 8.1.18 was released last week, I guess it's time to just manually upgrade PostgreSQL myself since you guys apparently don't care...

Both of your comments should be addressed to the Upstream Vendor, who is Red Hat, Inc..

Perhaps you should check exactly what makes an enterprise class OS distribution. From your comments, it seems you would prefer the bleeding edge. In that case, please use Fedora.

There is one upstream document that I would urge you to read and that concerns the policy of backporting security fixes.
AlanBartlett
Forum Moderator

Return to CentOS 5 - General Support