Beginner in CentOS5.3 !!!

General support questions including new installations
pschaff
Retired Moderator

Re: Beginner in CentOS5.3 !!!

Postby pschaff » 2009/11/16 20:21:35

Levani,

Welcome to the CentOS fora. Please start a new topic for a new question and do not hijack an existing thread with an unrelated question. It makes people's heads hurt! :-)

AlanBartlett
Forum Moderator

Postby AlanBartlett » 2009/11/17 14:22:28

And even peoples' heads hurt!. :-D

ingcartun

Postby ingcartun » 2009/12/04 09:06:41

Hi pschaff,

Finlay, I buy an laptop to made my tutorials and simulations on him. I want to install on him CentOS5.3. If I understand correct from my study, when I want to install CentOS with my settings, for installation is necessary to made the next setup:

1. to setup swap to ...Gb (from my necessity;
2. to setup installation on ext3;
3. to partitioned the hard disk in fat32 format (necessary to viewed by CentOS, without other supplementary settings or command) ;

If is not correct my setup, I waiting your opinion, or ideas.

Best regards. :-o

slashslash

Postby slashslash » 2009/12/04 11:39:12

Unless there is a good reason to do otherwise, you can use the default partitioning settings suggested by the installer. I'm not sure if you are asking if you must first prepare for installation by formatting. You don't have to do that, it can all be handled by the installer. It is not necessary to use fat32. Usually you would only use fat32 if the file system must also be read by a windows system, for example with a shared partition on a dual-boot system. Here is a link to the installation documentation; it is very good.

pschaff
Retired Moderator

Postby pschaff » 2009/12/04 12:45:27

I agree - the easiest (and most likely to be successful) approach is to accept the installer default partitioning. If you do want to dual-boot, NTFS is usually the filesystem of choice for modern Windows - post more details of what you want to accomplish.

ingcartun

Postby ingcartun » 2009/12/04 14:24:53

Hi to all,

Thank you for yours advice, but on my laptop I want to install only linux platform: first of all CentOS5.3 (because I'm FEM engineer and I using ANSYS, and CAD software, and second platform is xubuntu (for multimedia).

Anyway if somebody have other opinion, or think can offer me some support, can posted here there advice.

Best regards. :hammer:

pschaff
Retired Moderator

Postby pschaff » 2009/12/04 14:31:06

If you require dual-boot with Ubuntu then the default installation will not work, and it will probably be necessary to do some magic with grub chainloading to make both boot. I'd try to get the multimedia stuff working on CentOS and avoid dual-boot myself. See:
http://wiki.centos.org/TipsAndTricks/MultimediaOnCentOS
http://wiki.centos.org/TipsAndTricks/Pl ... BitFirefox
http://wiki.centos.org/AdditionalResources/Repositories
https://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/vi ... mpost87690

ingcartun

Postby ingcartun » 2010/03/12 21:54:29

Hi to all,

I have a question: what command I must type in terminal, to become administrator ?

Because if I use classical type: sudo, I obtain a message which say that don?t have privilege, and message will be reported.

I forget to tell that my CentOS5.4 is installed on virtual machine.

I must become root? How?

Thanks in advance for yours support and advice.

Best regards.

markkuk

Postby markkuk » 2010/03/12 23:17:59

helikaon

Postby helikaon » 2010/03/13 07:07:00

ingcartun wrote:
Hi abednegoyulo,

Thank you very much for your advice. Is very useful for me. I have have a simply problem for mediu and advance users of linux, but for me is very difficult to resolve it. It looks like this:

I have installed on some virtual machine the platform of linux CentOS 5.3. That not representing a problem (it works fine everithing). My problem apear because I cannot see the all partition from my hard disk, and beside of this I cannot see my DVD-rom and DVD writer. Because of these, I have the next questions:

1. What command can be write on terminal to see all partition from hard disk ?

2. What command can be write on terminal to added on my desktop (obviously from virtual machine) some shortcuts to my all partitions?

3. What command can be write on terminal to see all DVD's ?

4. What command can be write on terminal to used all DVD-roms in a manner in which I can see a movie from him, to install from him some program, to write some DVD's, and list can continuate...

5. I can added an shortcut on desktop (from virtual machine) from DVD's ?

6. All this commands from terminal are constraints by virtual machine ?

In this moment I used Ubuntu9.04. On him is installed virtual machine, on which is installed CentOS5.3. I used this option because I have installed CentOS5.3 on my computer, and because I encountered trouble presenting ANTERIOR, I decide to install Ubuntu and on virtual machine CentOS (I'm very interesting to learn how I can used CentOS5.3 first of all on virtual machine, and after that like a base and singular platform).

So, I waiting your advice , reffering to my problem.

I'm will be very grateful if you will put the comand line in your answer, both with some links and indication about him.

Thank you in advance for your support .

Best regards. :-(

Hi,
your prob seams to me that you don't entirely understand what the VM does. The VM actually acts like HW for the CentOS, so, if you don't see dvd-rom it's not supplied by the VM (VirtualBox, VMware ...) and you have to allow your VM to supply it to the guest system. That also means, you're not gonna see partitions from your Ubuntu install on the CentOS desktop. Your VM can however supply something like shared folder (at least virtualbox) that you can see in the CenOS.

Return to “CentOS 5 - General Support”