Want to remove X/Gnome completely

General support questions including new installations

Postby fandingo » 2010/01/18 00:03:02

I'm installing CentOS from the netinstall in Virtualbox now. I was about to post a different thread because Anaconda kept crashing on me. Whenever I would try to uncheck Gnome, clicking next would always fail. I really don't want Gnome, but I need to get the VM installed, so I just accepted the default software selection. (It's not an iso problem either because I originally tried the DVD as well.)

I've been using Linux for several years, but I need to use a GUI-less server. I found some instructions on how to disable X by entering runlevel 3, but that's not what I want to do. Is there a meta-package that I can remove "yum remove" and it will remove all the GUI dependencies, or perhaps something like "yum groupremove"?

Thanks for the help.
fandingo

Postby milosb » 2010/01/18 00:23:45

Is there a meta-package that I can remove "yum remove" and it will remove all the GUI dependencies, or perhaps something like "yum groupremove"?

Well, you kinda answered the question yourself.
Exactly what you need is available with yum. Read man yum and you'll find just that. Also yum grouplist may prove to be helpful with this.
milosb

Re: Want to remove X/Gnome completely

Postby fandingo » 2010/01/18 02:20:43

Thanks for the reply. I didn't know the name of the meta-package. Found it with yum grouplist, then
Code: Select all
yum groupremove "X Window System"
fandingo

Return to CentOS 5 - General Support