Can't boot CentOS after reinstalling Windows

General support questions including new installations

Postby drbillc » 2010/11/27 03:11:40

I had Windows XP Pro 32 bit and CentOS 5.4 installed on my Dell M6400 laptop and life was wonderful. Until I had to reinstall Windows. In the process, I reformated the C: partition of the drive where the Windows operating system was installed. I was careful NOT to reformat anything else. Now I cannot boot CentOS. The drive that has both the Windows and CentOS still shows the same partitions as were there before I reinstalled Windows, namely:

NTFS (C:) 171.82 GB
/boot 102 MB
(F:) 60.96 GB

(F:) is where my CentOS partition has all of my linux data and apps. I assume /boot should be the boot partition for CentOS

I use Acronis OS Selector to show the partitions to boot. Now CentOS doesn't show as an option even if I go through the process of trying to detect a CentOS boot partition using OS Selector.

I have researched this in the forums but have not found anything that was of help. There was a thread from someone who had trouble booting Ubuntu on a system with Windows Vista and CentOS but I did not see anything there that looked like it would help in my situation.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
drbillc

Re: Can't boot CentOS after reinstalling Windows

Postby drbillc » 2010/11/27 14:08:45

I forgot to add that I did run linux rescue from the CentOS install CD #1 and it still didn't allow OS Selector to find a boot record
drbillc

Postby toracat » 2010/11/27 19:10:19

I'm not familiar with Acronis OS Selector but you can perhaps ask the company for help?

To boot CentOS and WinXP on a laptop, you should be just fine with grub. Here is a CentOS wiki on How to reinstall grub. If you follow the instructions and successfully boot CentOS again but now do not know how to boot Windows, come back here for help.
toracat
Forum Moderator

Re: Can't boot CentOS after reinstalling Windows

Postby drbillc » 2010/11/28 03:13:17

Thanks. I think I will try your 1st suggestion and if that does not pan out I'll try your 2nd. I will let you know if I am successfull or not
drbillc

Return to CentOS 5 - General Support