CentOS 5.5 PAE kernel does not boot

General support questions including new installations

Postby asphaltjesus » 2011/03/28 17:55:16

Hi,

I installed the PAE kernel package on a Compaq DL380 G3 with 6GB of RAM, CentOS 5.5, vanilla install.

Upon reboot, GRUB cannot boot any of the kernels. I get an invalid device string error. Poking around in GRUB, it detects root correctly at hd(0,0) Beyond that, it cannot even find /boot/grub/stage1. I got out of the bind by reinstalling the kernel that ships with the installer. I'd like to use the 6GB RAM if possible. I attempted to follow GRUB's documentation here: http://grub.enbug.org/LVMandRAID but there is no grub-mkimage in centos5.5.

Also, the 5.5 installer detects, but appears to have no way to mount usb flash drives. I used the installer disc 1 to get into rescue mode. From there, I inserted a usb flash drive. dmesg and lsusb show the device, but there's no device node and resultant messages when a flash drive is inserted. There is no usb-storage module when doing an lsmod from the installer. Am I doing something wrong? I don't have this issue in other distro installers.

Thanks in advance.

Jesus
asphaltjesus

Postby pschaff » 2011/03/28 18:34:13

Welcome to the CentOS fora. Reading FAQ & Readme First is recommended for new users.

Not quite following everything you are saying. It does appear from a site search that others are using the PAE kernel on the DL380 G3. It appears from the search results that it does not support x86_64. Is that correct?

Not sure what you mean by "reinstalling the kernel that ships with the installer" - do you mean the standard i686 kernel?

To reinstall GRUB see the Wiki TipsAndTricks/ReinstallGRUB article.

As far as USB media, I know that anaconda can be started from USB key and can use USB as a target device. I don't ever recall trying to insert and use USB media during the install process.
pschaff
Retired Moderator

Re: CentOS 5.5 PAE kernel does not boot

Postby asphaltjesus » 2011/03/28 19:24:13

pschaff wrote:
Welcome to the CentOS fora. Reading FAQ & Readme First is recommended for new users.

Not quite following everything you are saying. It does appear from a site search that others are using the PAE kernel on the DL380 G3. It appears from the search results that it does not support x86_64. Is that correct?

Yes, 32-bit. I had every expectation it would work. It doesn't.

Not sure what you mean by "reinstalling the kernel that ships with the installer" - do you mean the standard i686 kernel?

I'm pretty sure we're talking about the same thing. There is a kernel package on disc #1. I copied it onto the host system and reinstalled it. It booted from there.

To reinstall GRUB see the Wiki TipsAndTricks/ReinstallGRUB article.

Yes, that's what I followed. No joy...

As far as USB media, I know that anaconda can be started from USB key and can use USB as a target device. I don't ever recall trying to insert and use USB media during the install process.

What does Anaconda do if the installation needs non-free firmware for something like a NIC? Debian's rescue mode is not quite magic, but it creates the device node for you and then it's just a matter of checking dmesg and mounting accordingly. In installer mode, usb storage automagically mounts. Do you see how being able to mount a flash drive in rescue mode might be handy? Anyway, I just wanted to confirm I didn't have bigger problems.
asphaltjesus

Postby pschaff » 2011/03/28 19:47:55

asphaltjesus wrote:
I'm pretty sure we're talking about the same thing. There is a kernel package on disc #1. I copied it onto the host system and reinstalled it. It booted from there.

Host system? Are we talking about virtualization here? How did you copy the kernel package and reinstall if it would not boot? From a rescue boot, chroot, and rpm install? Anyway - guess that is a moot point now if it is booting.

Have you tried reinstalling the PAE kernel once the system is booting?

What does Anaconda do if the installation needs non-free firmware for something like a NIC? Debian's rescue mode is not quite magic, but it creates the device node for you and then it's just a matter of checking dmesg and mounting accordingly. In installer mode, usb storage automagically mounts. Do you see how being able to mount a flash drive in rescue mode might be handy? Anyway, I just wanted to confirm I didn't have bigger problems.

The usual way to handle things that are not supported by the installer, either directly or with a driver disk, is to complete the install and then to add things like network drivers or firmware from the running system.
pschaff
Retired Moderator

Postby asphaltjesus » 2011/03/28 19:59:17

pschaff wrote:
asphaltjesus wrote:

Host system? Are we talking about virtualization here? How did you copy the kernel package and reinstall if it would not boot? From a rescue boot, chroot, and rpm install? Anyway - guess that is a moot point now if it is booting.

No guests on the system at the moment. That's where I'm trying to go, but ran into this issue before I could even get vmware-server installed.

The how I got the package:
-I copied the kernel package from the cd-rom using my laptop and a flash drive.
-I struggled with figuring out why the flash drive wouldn't mount in rescue mode using disk1 from CentOS 5.5 for a while then moved on.
-I used systemrescue CD to do the copying. It detected the flash drive and the logical volume, I mounted both and copied.
-Rebooted server into rescue mode.
-Chrooted to the host
-RPM -i $kernel-package-name.rpm

Looking back, I realize I could have just copied it off the cd-rom. Duh!!!!

Thanks for your help.
asphaltjesus

Postby pschaff » 2011/03/28 20:12:23

asphaltjesus wrote:
No guests on the system at the moment. That's where I'm trying to go, but ran into this issue before I could even get vmware-server installed.

There have been a lot of issues with RHEL/CentOS and VMware Server 2.0:

http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=4485
http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=3884

It is also nearing EOL.

I have switched to VirtualBox due to poor VMware support for CentOS/RHEL.

Looking back, I realize I could have just copied it off the cd-rom. Duh!!!!

Hindsight is 20:20. :-)

Thanks for your help.

You are welcome.
pschaff
Retired Moderator

Return to CentOS 5 - General Support