Version Of Perl/Python and issues with Battery Life and UEFI based laptops. Please help.

General support questions

Version Of Perl/Python and issues with Battery Life and UEFI based laptops. Please help.

Postby cento » 2012/01/17 12:04:29

Hi,

I have tried a lot of versions of Linux and most of them allmost halve the battery life.

I have a Lenovo Z570 laptop with Nvidia GT520M Graphics Card. Also, it uses UEFI based BIOS (Not really sure what this means, but this has caused a lot of booting issues, like, multiboot not working etc).

I will be thankful if someone could answer the following questions:

1) What is the version of Perl and Python that comes shipped with CentOS 6.2?

2) If I download a CD Version, will it have Perl/Python and GCC bundled along with it? I am planning to play around with Perl mainly and would need GCC to get the CPAN Modules working. Network availibility is a limiting factor so wanted to know if a CD Version would contain all these.

3) My battery life with Fedora 16 /Scientific Linux 6 is almost half of what I would get from Windows 7(BUT, windows is serious pain :) ) . Can I expect better battery life with CentOS 6.2 ?

4) I have noted dual booting issues with all except OpenSUSE. Looks like the EFI (or UEFI) is causing it. Anyone has a laptop with UEFI and worked around this problem?

I will be very thankful if someone could let me know.
cento

Version Of Perl/Python and issues with Battery Life and UEFI

Postby pschaff » 2012/01/17 20:53:15

Welcome to the CentOS fora. Please see the recommended reading for new users linked in my signature.

cento wrote:
Hi,

I have tried a lot of versions of Linux and most of them allmost halve the battery life.

I have a Lenovo Z570 laptop with Nvidia GT520M Graphics Card. Also, it uses UEFI based BIOS (Not really sure what this means, but this has caused a lot of booting issues, like, multiboot not working etc).

I will be thankful if someone could answer the following questions:

Your questions are all over the map. You will generally get better help if you use a concise subject and question in each topic.

1) What is the version of Perl and Python that comes shipped with CentOS 6.2?

You could have determined that by browsing the package set in a mirror.
Code: Select all
# rpm -q perl python
perl-5.10.1-119.el6_1.1.x86_64
python-2.6.6-29.el6.x86_64

2) If I download a CD Version, will it have Perl/Python and GCC bundled along with it? I am planning to play around with Perl mainly and would need GCC to get the CPAN Modules working. Network availibility is a limiting factor so wanted to know if a CD Version would contain all these.

The installation media contains all available packages, and starting with an install from DVD media is usually the best way to achieve a working system with the components you need, and without a lot of extra baggage. The LiveCD/DVD media are primarily useful for compatibility testing, test-drives, and rescue; although they are now installable to disk.

Use of CPAN and other types of Source Installs is discouraged. Package-based systems should use packages if at all possible. Many if not most of the things available from CPAN are available as packages from 3rd party repos such as RPMforge.

3) My battery life with Fedora 16 /Scientific Linux 6 is almost half of what I would get from Windows 7(BUT, windows is serious pain :) ) . Can I expect better battery life with CentOS 6.2 ?

There is no general answer to that question. Battery life will depends on how you configure power options, and the load on the system.

SL6 and CentOS-6 are built from the same sources so there should be no substantial difference, nor any compelling reason to install CentOS if you have a working SL system. See the Migration Guide if you want to transition to CentOS. OTOH - a fresh install may be easier if you have not got a lot invested in the SL installation.

4) I have noted dual booting issues with all except OpenSUSE. Looks like the EFI (or UEFI) is causing it. Anyone has a laptop with UEFI and worked around this problem?

Not I.

I generally try to avoid dual-boot if possible, and instead use Virtualization. A forum search for UEFI may be helpful.
pschaff
Retired Moderator

Return to CentOS 6 - General Support