[CentOS 6.2 - centosplus] Freeze (memory or kernel panic?)

General support questions

Postby fexos0 » 2012/06/30 18:09:31

Hey guys, I would like to congratulate for your work in the first place. I have just moved from Fedora 14 (as it wasn't maintained any more for some time already because of their 4 versions policy) which was the last release with this clean (so to speak) GUI and I've said to myself to try CentOS (I don't really want to give away SELinux for now).

As on Fedora 14 I encountered problems and various bugs with applications, for example in Skype at log-in RAM would get full and only SWAP would help me, but on CentOS 6.2 (centosplus) this isn't the case. Like in the Fedora 14 I have System Monitor in my Panel, I could see there my RAM sky rocketing and swap kicking in, but this isn't the case with CentOS, it basically freeze and there is not a sign which shows where the problem comes (either CPU or Memory or a kernel panic of some sort).

Any ideas how could I debug my kernel and see some information related to the last actions that could be responsible for this? Also the freezes are random, this moment I browse the web and maybe rewind a YouTube clip and freezes or I just open a new tab in Firefox and it suddenly freezes (also had a scenario with VLC when I tried to pause a video).

No audio can be heard or any activity from the devices such as keyboard, mouse.

I have read a similar problem related to this: http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/cento ... 16582.html

My system information that could help you:

cat /etc/*release* and uname -a:
Code: Select all
CentOS release 6.2 (Final)
cat: /etc/lsb-release.d: Is a directory
cpe:/o:centos:linux:6:GA

Linux Chaos.Virtue 2.6.32-220.23.1.el6.centos.plus.i686 #1 SMP Tue Jun 19 03:00:23 BST 2012 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

Graphic card: NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT (with latest nvidia drivers installed)

Processor:
model name : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3600+

cpu MHz : 1000.000
cache size : 512 KB

flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt rdtscp lm 3dnowext 3dnow extd_apicid pni cx16 lahf_lm cmp_legacy svm extapic cr8_legacy 3dnowprefetch lbrv

Would you like more information? dmesg/grub.conf/??

Thank you very much.

Best regards,

Later edit:
Well I know I have installed an i686 CentOS when I have a 64 AMD processor, but isn't there any other workarounds if this is the problem (which I do not think so, but who knows)?
fexos0

Postby pschaff » 2012/07/03 20:16:29

Welcome to the CentOS fora. Please see the recommended reading for new users linked in my signature.

Is there a particular reason to be running the plus kernel? It is only recommended if it is needed. Did you install the Nvidia drivers from the manufacturer or use the ELRepo kABI-tracking kmod driver package kmod-nvidia?

Given the variety of apparently unrelated problems, tunning memtest86+ at least overnight (longer is better) would be advisable.

It might help to provide more information about your system by running "./getinfo.sh" and showing us the output file.
pschaff
Retired Moderator

Re: [CentOS 6.2 - centosplus] Freeze (memory or kernel panic?)

Postby fexos0 » 2012/07/10 19:49:22

pschaff wrote:
Welcome to the CentOS fora. Please see the recommended reading for new users linked in my signature.

Is there a particular reason to be running the plus kernel? It is only recommended if it is needed.

I am using the plus kernel because it supplies much more packages. Since I am more than a casual user of Linux, I install packages ranging from the ones originating on KDE (such as kwrite,ktorrent etc.), debugging related ones, pentesting, programming and so on. Those may require packages that are not supplied/available for the "normal" kernel.

Did you install the Nvidia drivers from the manufacturer or use the ELRepo kABI-tracking kmod driver package kmod-nvidia?

NVIDIA drivers are the ones from manufacturer. I had to blacklist nouveau driver at boot time of GRUB and make a xorg.conf by NVIDIA installer. Had to go into run level 3 after booting in single user mode and "telinit-ing 3". Everything runs smooth from this point of view (referring to compiz effects as well).

Given the variety of apparently unrelated problems, tunning memtest86+ at least overnight (longer is better) would be advisable.

I will try the memtest86+ advice for sure. Thanks.

It might help to provide more information about your system by running "./getinfo.sh" and showing us the output file.

About the getinfo bash script, after I will take a look at it, maybe I will run and come back with more info.

Thanks!

P.S.: I have just erased kernel `kernel-2.6.32-220.el6.i686' in order to update to (the current) kernel: `2.6.32-279.el6.centos.plus.i686' (the reason is I did not have enough space to /boot and I use LVM so couldn't extend the boot partition, though I tried to use another partition from a secondy hard disk, fsck.ext4 always reported it was busy or in use so I quit and erased older kernel)

I had a similar freeze when using Firefox 3.6.28 (removed the 10 one because of add-on compatibility issues and many more stuff) when I was watching a YouTube video at 720p but I succeeded into killing Xorg and my display manager restarted the X Windows server :-) at least I did not have the freeze I used to have, but since then, everything is fine. Thanks for the support.
fexos0

Postby pschaff » 2012/07/10 21:34:54

fexos0 wrote:
I am using the plus kernel because it supplies much more packages. Since I am more than a casual user of Linux, I install packages ranging from the ones originating on KDE (such as kwrite,ktorrent etc.), debugging related ones, pentesting, programming and so on. Those may require packages that are not supplied/available for the "normal" kernel.

I believe you are confused. The plus kernel is compiled with additional drivers configured and has nothing to do with what application packages you may install.

NVIDIA drivers are the ones from manufacturer. I had to blacklist nouveau driver at boot time of GRUB and make a xorg.conf by NVIDIA installer. Had to go into run level 3 after booting in single user mode and "telinit-ing 3". Everything runs smooth from this point of view (referring to compiz effects as well).

Using the kmod-nvidia package is recommended as it is built from the same manufacturer's sources, but as a kABI-tracking module that does not have to be rebuilt for each new kernel.
pschaff
Retired Moderator

Postby fexos0 » 2012/07/12 06:11:57

pschaff wrote:
[...]
I believe you are confused. The plus kernel is compiled with additional drivers configured and has nothing to do with what application packages you may install.

Yes. You are right, I've read about the CentOS Plus repositories and confused with the kernel, sorry. It does say at summary it is not intended to be enabled from default.

By the way, it is more like a paradox because it would be supposed that more drivers configured == more compatiblity? But of course, that does not count every time, it may just be the other way around.

Using the kmod-nvidia package is recommended as it is built from the same manufacturer's sources, but as a kABI-tracking module that does not have to be rebuilt for each new kernel.

Thank you. As I have updated to a new kernel version (2.6.32-279.1.1.el6.centos.plus.i686) like it is always happening the boot is "stuck" at "Registering binary handler for Windows applications:"; followed the same old path to switch to another tty by ALT+F2 and in that virtual console I have installed the kmod-nvidia from elrepos repository. Anything is fine so far and smooth. Time will decide.

Thank you for your help, if it still persists I will have to switch to nonplus kernel.
fexos0

Return to CentOS 6 - General Support