RTNETLINK answers: File exists

Issues related to configuring your network

Postby bluethundr » 2010/08/31 18:50:37

I just noticed that DNS is flakey on this one virtual machine.

Code: Select all
[root@virtCent03:~]#:host bsd2
;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached
[root@virtCent03:~]#:ping yahoo.com
ping: unknown host yahoo.com
[root@virtCent03:~]#:ping 192.168.1.44
PING 192.168.1.44 (192.168.1.44) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from 192.168.1.44: icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=0.227 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.44: icmp_seq=2 ttl=64 time=0.250 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.44: icmp_seq=3 ttl=64 time=0.219 ms

I looked at the network settings in setup and everything looks as it should.

┌─────┤ DNS configuration ├─────┐                                                   
                                                   │                                                    │                                                   
                                                   │                                                    │                                                   
                                                   │ Hostname      virtCent03_____      │                                                   
                                                   │ Primary DNS   192.168.1.44___    │                                                   
                                                   │ Secondary DNS 123.456.0.12____   │                                                   
                                                   │ Tertiary DNS  4.2.2.2________       │                                                     
                                                   │ Search        example.com_        │                                                   
                                                   │                               │                                                   
                                                   │    ┌────┐      ┌────────┐          │                                                   
                                                   │    │ Ok │      │ Cancel │     │                                                   
                                                   │    └────┘      └────────┘          │                                                   
                                                   └───────────────────────────────┘       

but when I bounce the networking service this is what I see.

[root@virtCent03:~]#:service network restart
Shutting down interface eth0:  [  OK  ]
Shutting down loopback interface:  [  OK  ]
Bringing up loopback interface:  [  OK  ]
Bringing up interface eth0:  RTNETLINK answers: File exists
Error adding address 192.168.1.45 for eth0.
[  OK  ]

The interface was configured with the setup utility and seemed to do a good job of writing the config to the correct scripts...

[root@virtCent03:~]#:less /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
# Xen Virtual Ethernet
DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=none
HWADDR=00:16:36:58:cf:3c
ONBOOT=yes
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
IPADDR=192.168.1.45
GATEWAY=192.168.1.1
TYPE=Ethernet

[root@virtCent03:~]#:less /etc/sysconfig/network
NETWORKING=yes
NETWORKING_IPV6=no
HOSTNAME=virtCent03

Does anyone have any tips on how to get past this point?
bluethundr

Postby pschaff » 2010/09/01 18:17:56

A google on the error seems to indicate that having both the network and NetworkManager services running can cause such an error.
chkconfig --list | grep -i network
should tell the story.
pschaff
Retired Moderator

Re: RTNETLINK answers: File exists

Postby nedaves » 2013/03/11 18:43:25

I recently had this problem while setting up a new CentOS 5.9 server. I never found a good answer that worked in all of my searches.
But what I found to be the answer was I had netplugd running. After turning it off and disabling it, the RTENETLINK error no longer happens.
nedaves

Return to CentOS 5 - Networking Support