Graphical installers are not supported by the VM. The console mode will be used instead...

General support questions
jessa

Graphical installers are not supported by the VM. The console mode will be used instead...

Post by jessa » 2012/10/18 08:17:44

Hi I'm new with linux and I really don't know if im in the right place to post if not please advice me where. Anyway, I am trying to install a .bin file to my CentOS 6.3 and it appears like this, please see below:

Extracting the JRE from the installer archive...
Unpacking the JRE...
Extracting the installation resources from the installer archive...
Configuring the installer for this system's environment...

Launching installer...

===============================================================================

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Preparing CONSOLE Mode Installation...

Copyright
---------

Copyright 1998-2011
Inc. All rights reserved.

PRESS TO CONTINUE:

Invalid platform
----------------

This platform is not supported by this installer.

Continue to Exit.

PRESS TO ACCEPT THE FOLLOWING (OK):

I can install this installer to centOsS 6.3 on my vmware 8.3 but my boss is using OpenVZ where the OS reside so im not sure if that's the problem why im having this issue.
as notice it says
"Graphical installers are not supported by the VM. The console mode will be used instead..." so im assuming its something about
x windows pkg.

I tried to install x windows using yum

[root@jessa opt]# yum groupinstall x windows
Loaded plugins: fastestmirror
Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile
* base: mirror.nus.edu.sg
* extras: mirror.aarnet.edu.au
* updates: mirror.aarnet.edu.au
Setting up Group Process
Checking for new repos for mirrors
Warning: Group x does not exist.
Warning: Group windows does not exist.
No packages in any requested group available to install or update
[root@jessa opt]#

I don't know really what to do and where to start. please advise.

thanks a lot

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: Graphical installers are not supported by the VM. The console mode will be used instead...

Post by TrevorH » 2012/10/18 08:44:34

I fear the problem may be down to OpenVZ which makes significant changes to the operating system such that it's no longer really CentOS at all. Is it the Sun/Oracle JRE product that you are trying to install or something else which contains a JRE? Most installers like this will try to use a GUI version and fall back to a command line only version and this appears to be what yours is trying to do. I don't think that the lack of X is affecting the eventual outcome - I think it very likely that if you do succeed in running `yum groupinstall "X Window System"` (note the case and slightly changed name) then it will probably tell you exactly the same thing but in a popup window instead.

Perhaps you can supply more information about exactly what it is that you are trying to install?

[Moderator: moved this post to the CentOS 6 General Support forum as it seems more appropriate]

gerald_clark

Graphical installers are not supported by the VM. The consol

Post by gerald_clark » 2012/10/18 13:22:45

It sounds like you downloaded the wrong package.
Are you trying to install a 64 bit package in a 32 bit system?

The name of the bin file and the output of "uname -a" would help determine that.

mobilecloud

Re: Graphical installers are not supported by the VM. The co

Post by mobilecloud » 2015/02/22 14:01:01

I had similar problems and solved them finally. My problems came from the fact that the installer is 32-bit while my OS is 64-bit. So basically the installer needs some 32-bit stuff and can not find them, and you don't know what they are. My suggestion is to find the install log if there is any, and try to use "GUI" as key word to locate the error. In my case I got this in the log in one computer:

GUI mode is not supported : /tmp/install.dir.9277/Linux/resource/jre/lib/i386/xawt/libmawt.so: libXext.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

and another one in another computer with the same problem:

GUI mode is not supported : /tmp/install.dir.14272/Linux/resource/jre/lib/i386/xawt/libmawt.so: libXrender.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

So I installed those two missing files and problems gone.

If you don't have any install log, then install all those following 32-bit packages, which are needed to GUI installers

libX11-1.3-2.el6.i686.rpm

libXau-1.0.5-1.el6.i686.rpm

libxcb-1.5-1.el6.i686.rpm

libXext-1.1-3.el6.i686.rpm

libXi-1.3-3.el6.i686.rpm

libXtst-1.0.99.2-3.el6.i686.rpm

libXrender.i686

or

yum install libX11.i686 libXau.i686 libxcb.i686 libXext.i686 libXi.i686 libXtst.i686 libXrender.i686