lenovo thinkpad t410 screen inverted

General support questions

Postby syedk » 2012/10/22 04:01:03

Hello
I have a Lenovo thinkpad t410. I installed centos 6.3 - after a few days the screen got inverted. I have tried rebooting, power cycling -- even booting off a ubuntu CD but the screen remains inverted. I have tried alt+ctrl (up arrow) and (down arrow) to no avail.

Its inverted as soon as I boot it up. I even tried to put the install CD but the screen is inverted as soon as I boot up the laptop. The system never seems to come to a login prompt. Tried power cycling.

With the install CD I get the inverted menu but am not able to get a prompt even if I hit "enter" key to the first install question (where it asks for the language).

I tried several power cycles with no avail.
syedk

Re: lenovo thinkpad t410 screen inverted

Postby TrevorH » 2012/10/22 09:35:29

If the screen image is upside down when you see the BIOS messages then this is not a CentOS problem but rather one with the hardware or firmware itself. You need to ask Lenovo or someone familiar with their hardware for a solution.
TrevorH
Forum Moderator

Postby syedk » 2012/10/22 22:01:58

I realize it is possibly not a 'centos problem' but I am sure someone must have run into this problem. The problem did not occur with windows which I ran for over 2 years but popped after I installed centos.

Here is what happens. The laptop is loaded with centos 6.3 but I have tried it with an install CD running fedora

1. As soon as I power cycle/reboot it the first prompt is an inverted "centos 6.3" bootup sequence

2. The screen stays inverted - while the bootup is going on

3. After a minute or so the screen starts to gray out but gets brighter and the letters on the screen are not readable

4. It stays like this - if I power cycle same thing happens

A little history

The laptop ran windows 7 for 2 years with no problem. I loaded centos 6.3 - initially the system up fine - ie I was able to access internet with a browser, with no problem. The after a day or 2 the screen started to get inverted once in a while. Based on suggestion I tried to revert the screen back with "ctrl" + "alt" " up arrow" or "down arrow" . I believe it may have worked once or twice but not consistently. A reboot took care of the prolem once or twice.

However, the problem became consistent and now it is impossible to get the screen normal.

I tried to boot up the laptop with 1) centos install CD 2) fedora install CD. However, the problem is still the same.

I have tried power cycling, removing battery. One thing I have not tried is replacing the memory stick.

COuld this be a problem with the graphic card setting? Are there video/graphic card diagnostics?
syedk

Postby AlanBartlett » 2012/10/23 00:01:29

The first thing I would suggest you try is to enter the BIOS as soon as the system has been powered on and before the OS loads. Is that displayed correctly?
AlanBartlett
Forum Moderator

Postby syedk » 2012/10/23 02:32:21

unfortunately its not displayed properly -- from the moment the laptop is powered on - the screen display is inverted. After a period of time the screen gets grayed out and gets brighter to the point where all the displays (or letters)are not readable
syedk

Postby AlanBartlett » 2012/10/23 02:51:01

Then, unfortunately, you are suffering from a definite hardware defect. No amount of software adjustment will make any difference.

You really need to take (or send) that system to a qualified service centre. :-(
AlanBartlett
Forum Moderator

Return to CentOS 6 - General Support