What are the step by step installation

Support for webhosts that use CentOS

Postby danfix » 2011/11/22 18:08:35

Hi

I want to run a web server that can do life streaming. What version of centos is good for this or what linux os is good for this. I need to install red5 or FMS. Could i also use hyperVM? Do i need install php etc? If have install a server or streaming media can you please tell me in detail the steps you done. Thank you for your help.

I have also tried to install centos 5.7 and it goes to a blank screen after it does the bit of the graphics card.
danfix

Postby pschaff » 2011/11/22 19:24:39

Welcome to the CentOS fora. Please see the recommended reading for new users linked in my signature. That will educate you about many things, including the prohibition against dual-posting. Your other thread has been locked.

The blank screen issue is likely a graphics driver issue, but we would need information about your system to help with that.

I have no idea what you mean by "red5 or FMS".

By HyperVM I presume you mean installing CentOS as a virtual machine under Hyper-V. If you want a reliable and efficient server CentOS should be installed on the bare metal and not within a RedmondOS.

If you have additional questions after doing the recommended reading, please ask one question at a time with an appropriate subject for each, providing more details to explain your question.
pschaff
Retired Moderator

Re: What are the step by step installation

Postby danfix » 2011/11/22 19:46:59

My graphics card is a ATI Radeon HD 4300/4500 series.

Once i have installed say centos 5.4, what should i install next?
Hyper VM is like a cpanel. I have installed centos 6.0 but Hyper VM is not supported.
I installed webmin on centos 6, but i am having problems with the port forwarding to make my web address load in the browser.
I dont know which is better webmin or hyper VM.
FMS is flash media server and Red5 is like FMS, but its free.
danfix

Re: What are the step by step installation

Postby pschaff » 2011/11/22 20:14:39

You should never install obsolete versions. The current CentOS-5 release is 5.7. I can't comment on the virtues of any control panels as, based on questions here, they all seem to use non-standard approaches, replace core packages with source installs, or otherwise cause more problems than they solve. Better IMHO to just learn how to manage the system without such add-ons.

As far as a media server, there are several options in the well-know Repositories. To get a more targeted recommendation you need to better explain your requirements.
pschaff
Retired Moderator

Return to CentOS 5 - Webhosting Support