cant access ssh and full incoming data transfer in my empty centos VPS

Support for webhosts that use CentOS

cant access ssh and full incoming data transfer in my empty centos VPS

Postby marthinal » 2010/02/15 09:16:55

I have now my first VPS with centos and its empty(new...i have nothing inside ) so when i try 3 times to access with my root ssh user i have : Permission denied (publickey,gssapi-with-mic,password)
then i go to grafic transfer in my VPS and i can check a lot incoming transfer .I was searching about in google and others and here and check a lot of doc. but... i really dont know how can i repair it.
So i need to start working in my site :) Please what do you recommend me? maybe someone had the same..

Thanks very much for your time!
marthinal

cant access ssh and full incoming data transfer in my empty

Postby pschaff » 2010/02/15 11:35:12

Welcome to the CentOS fora.

marthinal wrote:
I have now my first VPS with centos and its empty(new...i have nothing inside ) so when i try 3 times to access with my root ssh user i have : Permission denied (publickey,gssapi-with-mic,password)

How was it installed and by whom? What exactly was installed? Who is the provider of the VPS and have you asked for technical support?

then i go to grafic transfer in my VPS and i can check a lot incoming transfer.

I have no idea what you mean by that. What is "grafic transfer"?

I was searching about in google and others and here and check a lot of doc. but... i really dont know how can i repair it.

Might help if you told us what your searches were looking for and what you found. There's really not enough information provided for anyone to offer much help.
pschaff
Retired Moderator

Re: cant access ssh and full incoming data transfer in my empty centos VPS

Postby marthinal » 2010/02/15 14:21:14

1)My hosting provider is Dinahosting here in Spain
2)I have a VPS with centos 5.0.3
3)I asked for support but they say me that if they touch my VPS i have to pay because is a service i didnt contract with them because i think i can start learning Centos and work with it.
4) I mean in the grafic transfer : when i go to my host provider i have a graph where i see incoming Mbps... the level is high and i have nothing in my server installed.I asked to my provider if is it normal but at the moment dont reply.
5)when I try 3 times to access my root ssh access then i have :

- 2 times: Permission denied, please try again.
-last : Permission denied (publickey,gssapi-with-mic,password)

6)I have iptables with port 22 open and was perfect .
7)its my first time configuring a server and I only configured my iptables .Then i was trying access with root and was perfect i did nothing strange . i wake up in the morning and i had this error.
8)I dont know what to do ... because i think maybe is a problem from my provider or maybe someone comes inside and change my root password.

Was not really good start :)

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR TIME.
marthinal

Postby DrLove73 » 2010/02/15 15:03:18

Either you misspelled your password, or someone did shange it, or your SSH server is set to deny root access, to make it more secure.

Can you login with user root and root password anywhere else? Web based control panel like Webmin? If your should be able to access something like that with root account, but your password is denied, then you got hacked. Most likely you have put weak password and paid for your mistake (or will soon anyway).

But if you can use your root password on the the graphical/web based panel, then it could be that SSH Server does not allow you to access as root, and your incoming traffic is from automatic update.

My suggestion is that you pay for VPS support for now, and install CentOS on your home PC (dual boot or Virtual system via VirtualBox or VMWare?) and learn about it little more before you decide to jump from newbie to security expert. When you learn enough you can cancel that support.

It took me about 1 year to start building server from scratch, but I really secured my server only after another year "in the trenches". And the first year I spent using and learning from/on ClarkConnect (now ClearOS).
DrLove73

Postby pschaff » 2010/02/15 16:18:00

marthinal wrote:
1)My hosting provider is Dinahosting here in Spain
2)I have a VPS with centos 5.0.3

There is no such CentOS version. Perhaps you mean 5.3 (or worse 5.0)? If so then the provider should not be installing obsolete releases with known bugs and security issues. The current release is, and has been for quite some time, 5.4. An update following the procedure in section 4 of the CentOS 5.4 Release Notes is highly recommended to fix/avoid problems.

Other than that, looks like DrLove73 is giving good advice.
pschaff
Retired Moderator

Postby marthinal » 2010/02/16 08:55:24

I was thinking about and i think i install centos on my laptop for example and then i start studying it because with my knowledge is imposible to build a secure site.So i will pay support,work on my site and study Centos :)
I will say now that 5.0.3 version is obsolete and maybe they wanted to mean 5.3.0 ???
So THANKS VERY MUCH FOR YOUR TIME DrLove73 and pschaff :)
marthinal

Postby DrLove73 » 2010/02/16 12:04:50

There is a book called CentOS Bible that can be bought (for me paper edition is the best, no power needed to read it.).I heard it is very good.
DrLove73

Postby pschaff » 2010/02/16 13:45:50

pschaff
Retired Moderator

Postby marthinal » 2010/02/17 10:16:58

Perfect!!!! i buy the book in amazon.com and im studing the links.

pschaff and DrLove73 thanks very much for your time and your help!!
:)
marthinal

Return to CentOS 5 - Webhosting Support