Bittorrent on VPS

Support for webhosts that use CentOS

Bittorrent on VPS

Postby Sabretache » 2011/02/27 09:51:50

Hi

I've been running a Centos 5 VPS for about 12 months now. Principle function is to host a fairly large Mediawiki installation and a few mirrors. I use Webmin for most of the server admin stuff. I'm no techie but having climbed a very steep learning curve and having managed to keep a medium-traffic site 99% operational for 12 months, with virtually no help from the the VPS provider, I guess that I'm no longer a complete dummy either. All that by way of intro.

I have become fed up with downloading large files to my Windows Client machines using a utorrent bitTorrent client, before ftp-ing them up to the remote server for unpacking and use etc etc. The obvious solution is to run bittorrent software directly on the server and thus half both bandwidth usage and admin time.

I have successfully installed bittorrent 4.4.0-1.elf.rf and libtorrent0.12.6-1.elf.rf (Yum reports them as installed and up to date anyway) but do you think I can make any sense of what to do to get them going? Short answer - NO.

I've spent hours and hours on this and am no further forward. So, question:

Assuming those packages are installed correctly what do I do to actually use them? - preferably with a Web GUI.

Also, please don't refer me to the Bittorrent site. I've already spent hours there jumping unexpectedly between 'Bittorent' and 'uTorrent' liveried pages - all to no avail - they seem to be written for dyed-in-the-wool geeks with their own special dialect of mandarin-urdu-cum-hex-bin-English or some such gobbledegook. :-?

Seriously though a simple resume of what files are where with a list of commands and clear instructions about how to set up any remote web-based GUI if available is all I really need.

Thanks in advance for any help offered.
Sabretache

Re: Bittorrent on VPS

Postby AlanBartlett » 2011/02/27 10:50:19

I have successfully installed bittorrent 4.4.0-1.[color=0000FF]elf[/color].rf and libtorrent0.12.6-1.[color=0000FF]elf[/color].rf . . .

I'm not too sure what you have installed, above. :-?

This is what I see --

Code: Select all
[root@GX1 ~]# yum --enablerepo rpmforge list \*bittorrent\*
Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, priorities
[i]<snip>[/i]
Available Packages
bittorrent.noarch                                                  4.4.0-1.el5.rf                                                rpmforge
bittorrent-gui.noarch                                              4.4.0-1.el5.rf                                                rpmforge
ktorrent.i386                                                      2.2.8-1.el5.rf                                                rpmforge
libtorrent.i386                                                    0.12.6-1.el5.rf                                               rpmforge
libtorrent-devel.i386                                              0.12.6-1.el5.rf                                               rpmforge
rtorrent.i386                                                      0.8.6-2.el5.rf                                                rpmforge
torrentzip.i386                                                    0.2-1.el5.rf                                                  rpmforge
[root@GX1 ~]#

Note the bittorrent-gui package? I guess that is what you require.
AlanBartlett
Forum Moderator

Postby Sabretache » 2011/02/27 11:09:18

AlanBartlett wrote:
I have successfully installed bittorrent 4.4.0-1.[color=0000FF]elf[/color].rf and libtorrent0.12.6-1.[color=0000FF]elf[/color].rf . . .

I'm not too sure what you have installed, above. :-?

This is what I see --

Code: Select all
[root@GX1 ~]# yum --enablerepo rpmforge list \*bittorrent\*
Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, priorities
[i]<snip>[/i]
Available Packages
bittorrent.noarch                                                  4.4.0-1.el5.rf                                                rpmforge
bittorrent-gui.noarch                                              4.4.0-1.el5.rf                                                rpmforge
ktorrent.i386                                                      2.2.8-1.el5.rf                                                rpmforge
libtorrent.i386                                                    0.12.6-1.el5.rf                                               rpmforge
libtorrent-devel.i386                                              0.12.6-1.el5.rf                                               rpmforge
rtorrent.i386                                                      0.8.6-2.el5.rf                                                rpmforge
torrentzip.i386                                                    0.2-1.el5.rf                                                  rpmforge
[root@GX1 ~]#

Note the bittorrent-gui package? I guess that is what you require.

Sorry. You're right :oops: - substitute 5's for f's and that's what I've installed.

Don't need the GUI package though because that's for use with bloatware like KDE and Gnome intended for local machine use rather than admin of a remote server (I believe).

What I would like is a web interface to JUST the Bittorrent functionality but I can live without it provided I can get a hold of the command set and a few other clear instructions for console use.
Sabretache

Bittorrent on VPS

Postby pschaff » 2011/02/28 19:02:31

If you don't want bloatware then a console solution such as rtorrent (also from RPMforge) or bittorrent-curses from your installed package should be just the ticket.
pschaff
Retired Moderator

Postby Sabretache » 2011/02/28 19:46:15

pschaff wrote:
If you don't want bloatware then a console solution such as rtorrent (also from RPMforge) or bittorrent-curses from your installed package should be just the ticket.

Thanks Phil

I guess I should have gotten that far on my own. Anyway I've had a play around with what I have installed. The --help option on both 'bittorrent-console' and 'bittorrent-curses' provide sufficient information to use the utilities. My problem now is that they do not recognise url type UDP.

I've been reading up a bit (as you do) and it does seem they are a bit dated as many torrents are 'multi-tracker these days and include a UDP tracker announce - which seems to screw up both these utilities.

I'll get there eventually.

In the meantime, any other pointers welcome.
Sabretache

Return to CentOS 5 - Webhosting Support