4.6 post-installation run problems

General support questions including new installations

4.6 post-installation run problems

Postby rboileau » 2008/09/18 17:03:00

I am trying to get 4.6 (64-bit) running (yes, it has to be this version). I downloaded a copy and the installation seemed to go fine, and the gnome desktop environment appears. But:

1. I can't launch most programs including Terminal, OpenOffice spreadsheet or Emacs. A little timer icon appears and the toolbar says it's "Starting whatever", then after a few seconds they disappear.

2. I can't open any of my files, such as text or pdf files (probably for the same reason).

3. Firefox (1.5) does launch, but I have no internet connection. I launched the Internet wizard, and I believe I filled in all my static IP set-up correctly for ethernet, but when I try to activate eth0, it claims it can't find it. I have an Attansic L1 card, and it listed 3-com or something by default.

I switched to text mode and checked the permissions - user has r-x, so I think I should be able to read files at least.

I've installed OpenSUSE, SLES, Ubuntu, Mandrake and Debian in the past, but I'm not a computer admin, so I don't really know what I'm doing. If there is something like YaST in this o.s. please tell me what it's called.

(My hardware is an Intel Core2 Quad processor with 8GB ram and I set the 30GB partition that was used for root in the previous linux (I hope) sda12 that was 'reisefor' (no idea, might be German) to root. It's dual boot - internet works in WinXP and worked in SLES 10 before I destroyed it.)

Any advice on this obsolete version would be appreciated. Or if you have a link to a better version of 4.6, I could try that.

with thanks in advance,

Renee
rboileau

Re: 4.6 post-installation run problems - ethernet card

Postby rboileau » 2008/09/19 09:51:03

On the bright side, programs are running today, however still no ethernet.

I have tried downloading and installing a driver for the Attansic L1 card - it didn't show it on the list in the Network Wizard.

I installed another ethernet card (Intell Pro 100S), downloaded and installed the driver, but the next step was supposed to be
/sbin/modprobe e100
and nothing happens.

Also, trying to install an Intel Pro 100 with Network Device Controller and rebooting results in error on boot (couldn't find eth0) and I still can't activate it in NDC.

/sbin/ifconfig shows only loopback

Any advice on next steps would be appreciated.
rboileau

Re: 4.6 post-installation run problems - ethernet card

Postby rboileau » 2008/10/16 07:59:22

Unfortunately, with the lack of response from either the Centos community or Ansys, I have gone back to SuSE, which at least talks to my hardware.

Ciao :-?
rboileau

Return to CentOS 4 - General Support