Open-Xchange on CentOS 4

Issues related to software problems

Open-Xchange on CentOS 4

Postby bboukari » 2006/10/12 21:46:11

I'm looking to possibly use CentOS instead of RedHat Enterprise Linux Application Server. I would like to run Open-Xchange (COMMERCIAL EDITION). But the folks over at Open-Xchange.com say their commercial version works on either SUSE or RedHat Enterprise Application Server (AS). A friend of mine said he thought CentOS was based on RedHat's Application Server. My questions are:

Is CentOS in fact based on RedHat's Application Server?
Will Open-Xchange 5 (commercial version) work on CentOS as simply as it's purported to work on RedHat?

I've considered using the community edition of Open-Xchange but I want a mail and groupware server that doesn't need a lot of low-level setup.
I would very much appreciate a quick response as I'm thinking about purchasing Open-Xchange in the next few hours. I very much need a change from Windows Server 2003 and Exchange Server 2003. The security is terrible and it's unreliable.

Thanks to anyone and everyone.

Bryan
bboukari

Open-Xchange on CentOS 4

Postby NedSlider » 2006/10/12 21:50:29

bboukari wrote:

Is CentOS in fact based on RedHat's Application Server?
Will Open-Xchange 5 (commercial version) work on CentOS as simply as it's purported to work on RedHat?

CentOS is binary compatible with RHEL. It is compiled from RH's available source code. The only difference is that copyrighted RH logo's etc have been replaced with CentOS logo's.

Your application should run on CentOS in exactly the same manner that it would run on RHEL. The only difference is that the vendor will likely not officially support your installation (if you tell them you're running on CentOS rather than RHEL).

Hope that helps.
NedSlider
Forum Moderator

Re: Open-Xchange on CentOS 4

Postby bboukari » 2006/10/12 21:55:54

NedSlider,
Thanks so much for the quick reply.

What is the the "Application Server" that RedHat sells under the Enterprise Linux?

Again NedSlider, your assistance is appreciated and anything you or anyone else can add would be helpful.

Bryan
bboukari

Re: Open-Xchange on CentOS 4

Postby foxb » 2006/10/13 13:18:47

Why you do not follow the instructions here???

http://www.open-xchange.com/EN/product/tryit.html
foxb

Return to CentOS 4 - Software Support