USB Audio in CentOS 4.7

Issues related to hardware problems

USB Audio in CentOS 4.7

Postby yaaan74 » 2011/10/31 17:56:06

Is anyone able to help a novice out?

We have two systems at work: one running CentOS 5.3 and another running 4.7

We have recently had cause to set up audio outputs on the 5.3 system and this has been achieved with a USB sound card dongle. We edited the /etc/udev/rules.d/50-udev.rules file as follows:

*KERNEL=="audio*", MODE="0660"* to

*KERNEL=="audio*", MODE="0666"*

and then

*KERNEL=="tts/USB[0-9]*", NAME="%k", GROUP="uucp", MODE="0660" *to

*KERNEL=="tts/USB[0-9]*", NAME="%k", GROUP="uucp", MODE="0666"*

this was followed with

*chown gator:emgs /dev/snd**
*chmod a+rw /dev/snd**
*chmod a+rw /dev/audio**

This has worked perfectly and allows the system to output audio as required.

We now need to set up the same under 4.7 but the 50-udev.rules file is significantly different (at least to my untrained eye). Can anybody point me in the right direction as to what the equivalents in 4.7 might be that need to be edited in order to activate the USB audio?

Many thanks
Ian
yaaan74

USB Audio in CentOS 4.7

Postby pschaff » 2011/11/01 17:19:52

It's been too long since any experience with CentOS-4 for me to remember its udev details, so just let me welcome you to the CentOS fora and recommend the reading for new users linked in my signature.

OT comments:

You should be aware that 5.3 is severely obsolete and consequently unsupported, the current CentOS-5 release being 5.7. See the CentOS 5.6 Release Notes Section 4 for details on the recommended update procedure, and CentOS 5.7 Release Notes for other information.

Similarly, the current CentOS-4 release is 4.9, and It is also worthwhile to note that CentOS-4 reaches end of life in the very near future, so it might be more productive to work on replacing it with a newer release than putting a lot of effort into a dead-end product.
pschaff
Retired Moderator

Re: USB Audio in CentOS 4.7

Postby Larkin38 » 2012/01/05 10:49:42

Is anyone able to help a novice out?

We have two systems at work: one running CentOS 5.3 and another running 4.7

We have recently had cause to set up audio outputs on the 5.3 system and this has been achieved with a USB sound card dongle. We edited the /etc/udev/rules.d/50-udev.rules file as follows:

*KERNEL=="audio*", MODE="0660"* to

*KERNEL=="audio*", MODE="0666"*

and then

*KERNEL=="tts/USB[0-9]*", NAME="%k", GROUP="uucp", MODE="0660" *to

*KERNEL=="tts/USB[0-9]*", NAME="%k", GROUP="uucp", MODE="0666"*

this was followed with

*chown gator:emgs /dev/snd**
*chmod a+rw /dev/snd**
*chmod a+rw /dev/audio**

This has worked perfectly and allows the system to output audio as required.

We now need to set up the same under 4.7 but the 50-udev.rules file is significantly different (at least to my untrained eye). Can anybody point me in the right direction as to what the equivalents in 4.7 might be that need to be edited in order to activate the USB audio?
Larkin38

Return to CentOS 4 - Hardware Support