IDE to SD Card

Issues related to hardware problems

IDE to SD Card

Postby KenHorse » 2012/02/14 16:37:13

I picked up an IDE to SD card adapter and using a Sandisk 2 gig card, I am able to mount, see, format, read/write, etc it if I boot off the normal HD and mount the adapter assembly (it shows as hdc)

I'm wanting to go diskless on this system and want to load CentOS onto the card and boot/run from that. However it seems I can't simply run the installation CD's to do this as it always fails when it's time in the installation process to actually partition and format the disk.

I've searched the forums but haven't found a darn thing about this. Help?
KenHorse

Re: IDE to SD Card

Postby TrevorH » 2012/02/14 17:15:24

Since CentOS 4 has approximately 2 weeks left before it goes end of life, have you considered trying one of the more recent editions that still have some support lifetime left? They probably also have support for hardware that wasn't even invented when CentOS 4 was current :-)
TrevorH
Forum Moderator

Postby KenHorse » 2012/02/14 17:23:49

I would love to but CentOS 4.8 (final) is the latest version that will actually run on my platform (I have many EPIA 5000 motherboards laying around and they're perfect for diskless systems
KenHorse

IDE to SD Card

Postby pschaff » 2012/02/15 00:35:34

Then you must trade off the potential costs of using a system without support or security updates against the cost of some more modern hardware, or of signing up for EUS. Good luck with that.

If drivers work for the IDE adapter with the running kernel but not with the installer, you may be able to clone the running system to the SD card, make a new initrd, and fix up /boot/grub/grub.conf and /etc/fstab to use it. Two GB is not much to work with by CentOS-6 standards, but probably enough for a stripped-down CentOS-4.
pschaff
Retired Moderator

Postby KenHorse » 2012/02/17 15:59:50

pschaff wrote:
Then you must trade off the potential costs of using a system without support or security updates against the cost of some more modern hardware, or of signing up for EUS. Good luck with that.

If drivers work for the IDE adapter with the running kernel but not with the installer, you may be able to clone the running system to the SD card, make a new initrd, and fix up /boot/grub/grub.conf and /etc/fstab to use it. Two GB is not much to work with by CentOS-6 standards, but probably enough for a stripped-down CentOS-4.

Yea, my fully installed version is only taking 6oo megs on the HD (only doing console stuff).

Thanks for the tip about migrating from the HD to the SD
KenHorse

Return to CentOS 4 - Hardware Support