Centos 4 Repository Support

Support for webhosts that use CentOS

Postby krazybob » 2012/02/16 00:39:35

I realize that CentOS is about to go to the grave yard but is the repository going as well? Even on a third party site? Can I build my own repository from the last server I built?

Here is the jam that I am in and I hope and pray that you'll cut me some slack and not just tell me to upgrade. The piggy bank is empty.

In 2007 my then 5 year old daughter was diagnosed with inoperable brain cancer. I have run a moderately successful hosting company but not successful enough to get jammed up by SW-Soft, now Parallels. We were a Partner until the complete buyout of Ensim. In fact we start with Ensim and upgraded to Plesk 7.x. Parallels butchered their part of the HSP and individual VE migrations. I lost half of my customers. Surrounded by two forest fires and Parallels screwing everything up I have remained screwed all this time.

Now I need to upgrade to Virtuozzo 4 but Parallels canceled us as a "Partner." The only "partners" are the monster size companies. Parallels throws around prices like #3k a month for unlimited everything...

So here it is 2012 and I am forced to use CentOS 4 64-bit and an our-dated kernel, but I can install a VE based on Centos 5-64-bit. Go figure.

I still have a viable business that shows signs lately of growth but I'm screwed on the software. I will humbly accept suggestions as long as you don't think I'm looking for a pity party. I am not. I am looking for a solution. I am not a guru -- I muddle my way through. But what I don't know I try to learn fast.

Can any of you offer suggestions on how I can get current without taking shows at me ;-)
krazybob

Re: Centos 4 Repository Support

Postby TrevorH » 2012/02/16 01:02:12

Set up a local yum mirror and clone the repo. That should solve your immediate problem but leaves you the other... where do you get security patches from? Long term you are going to have to migrate to something else, be that CentOS 5 or 6 or something completely different. How long will it be before there is some nasty root exploit in your software stack and you need a patch?
TrevorH
Forum Moderator

Postby pschaff » 2012/02/17 11:30:49

A couple of links to support Trevor's suggestions:

http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/CreateLocalMirror
http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/CreateLocalRepos

There is of course the option of signing up for EUS if your business model can handle the cost. An orderly migration to a new release is still the only viable long-term strategy.
pschaff
Retired Moderator

Return to CentOS 4 - Webhosting Support